Driving off-road

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by DougElerath, Dec 20, 2017.

1. DougElerath

DougElerath

It appears that Garmin's topo maps which show land ownership can not be loaded into Garmin's drivesmart devices, which is unfortunate. As an alternative, I have been using my Astro dog tracker unit to drive basecamp on my laptop and then navigate off the landownership map in basecamp. I would like to stop using the Astro for this purpose. Is there any device, other then a Rhino or Astro, that can input position data into basecamp and show current position on my laptop? Alternatively, are there any land ownership overlays that can be used on the DriveSmart devices?
    Thank you

DougElerath, Dec 20, 2017
  2. DougElerath

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

How is astro driving Basecamp ?, as far as I am aware Basecamp does not accept real time position data such as NMEA as an input, so you would not be able to display your current position using it. Basecamp will accept single Waypoints and Tracks (a series of Waypoints), in *.GPX file format and these GPX files can be generated by most, if not all GPS units

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 20, 2017
  3. DougElerath

DougElerath

Both the Rhino and Astro units are designed to provide (proprietary) data to Basecamp. That was one of the selling points of the Rhino - units can all talk to one another as well as to basecamp in the "Basestation" mode. Same with the Astro units which allow you to keep track of your pack (we have 5 dogs) on basecamp in the "Basestation" mode.

DougElerath, Dec 20, 2017
  4. DougElerath

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I wasn't aware of the Basecamp Basestation Mode, as you say it only seems to apply to Rino, Astro and Alpha series

basestation.jpg

Mapsource (the program that Basecamp replaced), would display current data from any Garmin GPS that provided either NMEA or Garmin/Garmin data, most of the hand-held devices did this, it had a screen as shown below :-

mapsource.jpg
    I suspect the Garmin/Garmin comms. format is what is being used in Basestation Mode, however I doubt that any of the older units will work with Basecamp in this mode

EDIT
    I think the problem you are having with the topo maps is because satnavs like the drivesmart require routable 'road' maps, you will probably be able to install your non-routable topo maps on any of the Garmins walking / hiking units

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 21, 2017
Ask a Question