Editing imported routes

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Homefire, Jun 1, 2021.

1. Homefire

Homefire

I have two Montana 600s. They allow me to edit routes (add, move and delete waypoints) only if the route was built by hand on the unit. Routes imported from Basecamp can not be edited. Are there any Garmin GPS units that allow editing routes imported from Basecamp? I use the units on a motorcycle. Thanks. -Charles

Homefire, Jun 1, 2021
  2. Homefire

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Are you sure that the imported Basecamp file is in Route format?, the problem may be that it was created as a Track rather than a Route

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 1, 2021
  3. Homefire

Homefire

Thanks for the reply. I'm quite sure they are routes. Both the imported routes and my local created routes appear in the Route Planner app and only the local routes have the option to edit when selected.

Homefire, Jun 1, 2021
  4. Homefire

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

OK, the only suggestion I can think of is to copy both types of Route back to Garmin Basecamp and look for differences in the setup of the Routes, you could also check for differences in the *.gpx file format using a text editor by temporarily renaming it to *.txt

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 1, 2021
  5. Homefire

Homefire

Looking into that, I connect the Montana to Basecamp on the computer, find the two kinds of routes on the Montana and export each to a text file. Looking at those files, there is a difference. Both have a list of waypoints defining the route. The route imported from basecamp also includes all of the routing points generated by the Basecamp routing software and map to travel between the waypoints. The route has been pre-calculated and included in the file. The hand loaded route has no routing points. The routing will be calculated by the routing software and map in the Montana, and may differ from the Basecamp routing.

Apparently the Montana doesn’t want me to modify the imported route waypoints and recalculate, or simply recalculate, because the unchanged portions of the new route could be different from the route planned and calculated by Basecamp.

In my use the route has 25 waypoints selected from 50 possible, to be visited in 12 hours with waypoints added or deleted during that time. All waypoints are entered into Basecamp and a route is developed using 25. I can export the 50 waypoints to the Montana and would like to export the route waypoints without the detailed routing information so it can be edited and routed on the Montana. Failing that I would like to find a GPS unit that allows editing and recalculation with imported routes.

Homefire, Jun 1, 2021
  6. Homefire

Homefire

A Garmin representative has responded to my question about this situation. "I'm sorry, no Garmin GPS products can edit routes that have been imported from BaseCamp. " Well, so much for that plan. It seems like it would be an easy feature to implement, and useful for some.

Homefire, Jun 2, 2021
Ask a Question