Entering GPS Coordinated on Garmin Nuvi 2599 LMT D

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by EamonX1, Jul 12, 2017.

1. EamonX1

EamonX1

A location on a map has the following coordinates. I want to enter them in my Garmin Nuvi 2599 LMT D

N 51° 43’ 40.1”

W 9° 1’ 28.99”

However Garmin’s Coordinate Format does not allow me to enter the Western coordinates exactly.

The Garmin format which is closest is:

N dd°mm’ mm mm.mm”

W ddd ° mm’ mm mm.mm

What do do?

W 009° 01’ 28.9” (This is the nearest I can get to W 9° 1’ 28.99”, but is not exact).
    Any help appreciated

EamonX1, Jul 12, 2017
  2. EamonX1

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The example you have given above is in ddd° mm’ ss.s” format so you need to select this format on your Nuvi, the reason you cant enter the 'right hand 9' is because your Nuvi can't do anything useful with it, only very expensive surveying GPS units can use them, the 28.99 above is are Seconds of a Degree, if you change the 2 to a 1 the location would change by about 650 feet, if you changed the 8 to a 7 the location would change by about 65 feet, if you change the left hand 9 to an 8 it would move the location by about 6 feet and if you change the right hand 9 to an 8 the location would change by about 7 inches, this means that you can't enter a location more accurately than about 6 feet, but even if you could the Nuvi would not be accurate enough to use the extra digit anyway

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 13, 2017
  3. EamonX1

EamonX1

Thanks for your help on this. Sorry for not putting in sss for seconds, my mistake. But the information you provided will be most helpful to me.

EamonX1, Jul 13, 2017
Ask a Question