Entering Map Coordinates

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by UltraFusion, Apr 14, 2017.

1. UltraFusion

UltraFusion

Using my Nuvi 2455LMT I cannot get the unit to find an address in a city in Spain - including trying to use a major street address near by...

So I used Google maps on my PC to find the address and rt clicked -> What's here?" and got the map coordinates - eg
    36°31'54.9"N 6°17'54.3"W

Then went to Categories on my Nuvi and tried entering these coordinates - but the Nuvi doesn't want the decimal in the seconds...
    So I entered (per above) N 36° 31.549 and W 006° 17.543

This seems to (almost) work and gets you fairly close to the location but I want to check to see if I'm doing this right - and if I can get even closer to the desired location...

I'm thinking maybe I have to convert the (seconds) coordinates somehow... ??

UltraFusion, Apr 14, 2017
  2. UltraFusion

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You can't enter 36°31'54.9" as N 36° 31.549 because the minutes and seconds are not base 10 (they are 60th s), if you want to enter degrees minutes and seconds you need to change format on the Nuvi with :- Settings >> Units & Time >> Position Format >> Coordinate Format >> h ddd° mm' ss.s"

Nuvi-Nebie, Apr 15, 2017
  3. UltraFusion

UltraFusion

Thanks - makes sense.
    I also figured out that you can go to a web site that will convert the numbers for you, as you say from base 60 to base 10.
    Appreciate your reply.

UltraFusion, Apr 15, 2017
Ask a Question