Entry level Sat Nav for Loading pre-determined routes

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by rustyg, Jul 16, 2019.

1. rustyg

rustyg

Hello
    I have owned 2 Garmin nuvi sat nav over the past years and neither is able to load routes. (you can add the odd wey point that is all. Loading routes for holiday routes would be a major advantage. Currently I just keep adding a new destination to force it down a route I want. I understand that one uses "base camp to produce a route". Garmin have advised me that the LM51 Drivesmart will take routes. However Amazon reviews say that it cannot??? Any ideas. I do not want to buy yet another sat nav that will not take routes.

rustyg, Jul 16, 2019
  2. rustyg

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Could you supply a link to the Amazon review you mention in your post?, I think it may be incorrect, please note that Garmin have both a Drivesmart 51 and a Drive 51, they are not the same product, as far as I am aware all Garmin satnavs that have a menu that includes an 'Apps option' that leads to a 'Trip Planner' screen will accept downloaded Routes from Garmin Basecamp, in this screen you can generate and save a 'New Trip' to be used at a later date and downloaded Routes are kept in the same save area

I have an entry level Nuvi 56 LM (no longer available) and that has the 'Trip Planner' option, a current replacement unit would be something like the Drive 51 (NOT Drivesmart 51) this has 'Trip Planner' and is cheaper than the Drivesmart which has functionality you may not need

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 17, 2019
  3. rustyg

rustyg

Hi there thankyou for your replies. I trust your reply more than the Amazon ones. I suspected that newer versions must be able to load routes. My 2 sat nav are quite old now and definitely can't take routes. But it is such a fundamental requirement if on holiday.
    Rustyg

rustyg, Jul 17, 2019
Ask a Question