eTrex 10 - always tracking when turned on?

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by pshute, Jul 29, 2018.

1. pshute

pshute

I just got my first dedicated GPS, an eTrex 10. I've been using various apps on my phone till now. It's my impression that it starts recording track points as soon as it's turned on, and the only way to stop it is to turn it off. Is that correct? I just want to be sure before I experiment with it further, because phone apps never work that way, and my initial reactionh was to look for a way to stop it.

pshute, Jul 29, 2018
  2. pshute

pshute

I found I can set Settings/Track Log to Do Not Record. Given how fiddly that is to get to, I assume people generally use one or the other?

pshute, Jul 29, 2018
  3. pshute

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Recording Tracks continuously isn't normally a problem, turning the unit (or the track logging ) off and back on will end one track and start a new one, I think that is it's main purpose as the Track logs take up very little storage space

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 29, 2018
  4. pshute

pshute

I'm not sure if it does start a new track if I turn it off/on though. I see a gap in the tracking, but I think it all still counts as part of the one track. At least, I can't see how to access the parts separately.

pshute, Jul 29, 2018
  5. pshute

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

If you look at the Tracks on a computer running Garmin Basecamp you will see they are seperate tracks

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 29, 2018
Ask a Question