eTrex 20 time inaccurate

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by colmnfamily, Sep 14, 2014.

1. colmnfamily

colmnfamily

Hello,

I am having an issue with my Garmin eTrex 20. This has happened several times while hiking. I reset the "Trip Computer" to all zero values. I will put the GPS in a mesh external pocket of my backpack. When I check it after hiking for an hour or so, the "Stopped Time" shows more minutes than I had actually stopped.

For example, today I used it again. The total time was about 58 minutes (which was right based off my watch), but it showed a "Stopped Time" of 37 minutes. I would guess I may have stopped aggregately for a max of 10 minutes. And based off the now also inaccurate "Moving Time" of 21 minutes, it shows my average moving speed over 6 MPH, which I am sure was closer to 2.5.

I then reset to 0 again and this time started hiking with the unit in my hand. I hiked for 30 minutes without stopping, and during this time, it recorded a "Stopped Time" of 4:30, although I NEVER STOPPED. I also checked the satellite connectivity about every 5 minutes, and the signal was always strong...all bars lit.

I am hiking in the woods, not overly dense. Today was partly cloudy.

Has anyone experienced this?

By the way, this does not seem to happen when I use it while riding my bike. This is urban riding, so I am not in the woods.

Thanks!

colmnfamily, Sep 14, 2014
  2. colmnfamily

padugan

YEP! I had it happen yesterday. I updated my device over the weekend and Basecamp and everything is ruined. My guess is the last update is full of bugs. after the update I could no longer add maps to my device. Had to uninstall basecamp and install older version. thank god I had older versions on my hardrive.

For me, it was just on the device. I noticed the incorrect time, but didn't reset it. at the end of my hike I saved the track. I uploaded it to basecamp when I got home and the times were correct. the device is wrong, but the data is correct.

joined this forum specifically because the e-trex 20 is a piece of garbage and I'm looking to replace it with something else. Sick of all the weird little issues it has and the horrible basecamp software. Will never buy a gamin product again.

padugan, Sep 29, 2014
  3. colmnfamily

Tortoise

I've been having exactly the same problem on my eTrex 20. It started back in September and I reported it to Garmin Support who suggested a Total Reset which did not improve matters. Eventually they said the unit must be faulty and I returned it for a replacement. A couple of weeks ago, the replacement arrived and, surprise, surprise, this does exactly the same thing. I've again contacted Garmin and received exactly the same response! I'm not impressed.

There seems to be a problem with the design of some sort but Garmin claim they are not aware of anyone else having problems.

Clearly, there is at least one other person out there who is!

Tortoise, Dec 5, 2014
Ask a Question