Etrex 20x

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Tommo812, Jul 8, 2019.

1. Tommo812

Tommo812

This is probably a dumb question but I'm going to ask anyway: I live in Tampa, FL and downloaded a map of Colorado to my Etrex 20x for an upcoming trip. I can not view the map on the gps. Do I need to be in Colorado in order to view the map? I only have a Southeast US and a Florida topo map, in addition to the Colorado map on the gps. Any help is welocome.
    Thanks

Tommo812, Jul 8, 2019
  2. Tommo812

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The problem is that without a continuous map between Florida and Colorado you can't use pan and zoom to point to the new map because when it gets to the border of the Florida map it stops

There are ways to get around this though, if you create a Waypoint on your Etrex20 that is inside the boundary of your new map , say Denver you can then pick this new Waypoint and view it on the map

Denver Waypoint
    N39° 44′ 21″,W 104° 59′ 5″
    or
    N39.739, W104.984

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 9, 2019
  3. Tommo812

Tommo812

Thank you so much for your reply. I was hoping it was something as simple as that. I had concerns because I originally was using Gamin Basecamp 4.7.0 and Map Install 4.2.0 to install the CO map to the etrex and it did not work. I then found forums that explained problems with these versions of software and work arounds to install the previous versions, which did work. I will plug in the waypoints you so graciously provided and see if that works. These forums are a great help because of people like you. Thanks again.:)

Tommo812, Jul 9, 2019
  4. Tommo812

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 9, 2019
  5. Tommo812

Tommo812

Thanks. I actually just found that post a few minutes ago. I went through the process of uninstalling all previous Garmin programs, including Garmin Express, and installed Basecamp 4.6.2. Do you know if there is a benefit to installing 4.7.0? I'm hesitant because it took me awhile to finally find the information to fix it. The Garmin Chat site was NO help.

Tommo812, Jul 9, 2019
  6. Tommo812

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I think installing Basecamp 4.7 and maspinstall 4.0.4 is better, having said that it looks like most of the changes were to take things out :-

Changes made from version 4.6.2 to 4.7.0:

• Updated BaseCamp to conform to GDPR requirements
    • Improved MTP device support
    • Removed online components of Garmin Adventures
    • Removed Garmin Cloud Drive support
    • Removed Garmin Connect find and upload
    • Removed Picassa photo sharing

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 9, 2019
Ask a Question