etrex 22x

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by zonahiker, Jul 12, 2022.

1. zonahiker

zonahiker

i own a new garmin etrex 22x....
    this unit does not have the ABC sensors...it is not the 32x model....
    as a test i have been taking it on my daily walk....
    4 miles every (most) morning, same walk, same sidewalks, same paths, same exact route everyday....
    at the end of my walk i "save" the track and click on "yes" to clear the current track and associated trip data....
    a short while later i recall the track to review it....
    i go into track manager, click on the saved track, click on view map, click on the menu button, click on review track, and look at the recorded stats....
    my problem is with the recorded ascent and descent values...
    each day they are different, and each day they are greater than the last day...
    as an example...
    day 1 .. 1700' range
    day 2 .. 2300' range
    day 3 .. 3300' range
    day 4 .. 6000' range
    day 5 .. 7300' range
    day 6 .. 8100' range
    i have gotten to the point where i delete the track off the gps after recording the stats, and still the next days ascent/descent valves are greater then the last....there are no other tracks stored or archived on the gps....
    i have tried my walk while using just gps, and gps and glonass, with the same results...
    just before i start my walk i turn on the gps, i clear the current track, i reset/clear the track and trip data setting, i go into where to and make sure nothing is running, i go into active route and make sure nothing is running....
    i am wondering what i am doing wrong, if anything....
    maybe the 22x unit is not capable of more accurate data without the ABC sensors...
    any suggestions, thanks in advance for your help...

zonahiker, Jul 12, 2022
  2. zonahiker

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

It does look like an error on the assent / decent range, it's hard to work out what is happening, even if each days figures are adding to the total it doesn't work, if say the real range is 1700 you would expect to see 1700, 3400, 5100, 6800, 8500, 10200 eg, + 1700 each day but you are seeing +600, +1000, +2700, +700,+ 800, are you using the 22x for any other activity on those days?, which could account for different amounts being added each day

You could load your saved Tracks into Garmin Basecamp and view the figures for the 6 days for comparison

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 13, 2022
  3. zonahiker

zonahiker

there is no pattern to the numbers.....
    i am not using the unit for other activities, just my morning walk....
    i even tried moving the saved hikes into the archive file each day so that the current track file would be empty of previous hikes....
    that didn't work so i started deleting each days hike thinking that the unit would start fresh, that doesn't work.....
    today and for the next few days i am going to do my walk, record the numbers, delete and clear everything as usual, then remove and reinstall the batteries, maybe removing the batteries will delete data that is stored/stuck somewhere.....
    i reported this to garmin, they had me send my brand new unit in to see what was happening, they replaced my unit when they received the first unit, this is a 2nd brand new unit doing the same thing...
    the on board elevation plot looks accurate, it does not show the spikes that the data numbers show.....
    i am leaning towards the problem being the 22x does not have the ABC sensors, its just very strange what its doing with the ascent/descent data...
    it make me wonder if i was to do two/three different hikes in a row would the stored data be wrong for the second and third hikes.....
    i will start transferring the files into base camp and do a comparison.....
    thanks for your reply....

zonahiker, Jul 13, 2022
  4. zonahiker

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

No it won't because there is another internal battery to prevent data loss when you change the main batteries, you would have to reset the 22x erasing all stored data (so copy it to a computer first)

1. Power the eTrex off.
    2. Press and hold both Menu and Enter.
    3. Press and release Light/Power.
    4. Wait to see, Do you really want to erase all user data? then release Menu and Enter.
    5. Select Yes.

No, the electronic Altimeter / Barometer may be more accurate at recording assent / decent but it won't correct this kind of error unless the 32x also runs different recording software

If Basecamp displays the 'Range' correctly it is showing that the error isn't stored in the file and that the 22x is just calculating it wrongly when the file is examined, if Basecamp does show the 'Range' error it shows the 22x is not resetting this counter when you clear the current track and associated trip data

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 13, 2022
  5. zonahiker

zonahiker

is there any way to pause the hand held garmin 22x when stopping for lunch, as an example you can pause the gaia app on your cell phone and restart it after lunch, this prevents "nesting"
    ....thanks

zonahiker, Oct 22, 2022
  6. zonahiker

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I am guessing that you want to pause the 22x from auto recording new Track points when you are stopped for lunch, this can be achieved by changing how Tracks are added to, there are three options for controlling how a new Track point is added :-
    1. Auto = uses time and distance
    2. Time = record every few seconds / minutues
    3. Distance = record when moved by a few feet / metres
    The default is usually No. 1 above but if you change it to No. 3 and select say 30 feet (10 metres) then you will get very few new Track markers when you stop moving

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 23, 2022
  7. zonahiker

zonahiker

that's the answer i was looking for.... perfect ... thank you

zonahiker, Oct 23, 2022
  8. zonahiker

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You can do this here :-

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 23, 2022
  9. zonahiker

zonahiker

i'm still getting wildly incorrect ascent/descent numbers and sometimes max/min elev numbers as well....
    i've tried most things including having garmin send me a new etrex 22x unit....
    on the unit there are preinstalled maps:
    enabled
    - worldwide dem basemap, nr
    - topoactive americas,north
    - topoactive amercias, central
    - garmin dem map north america
    disabled
    - digital globe jnx
    - usgs quads grand canyon park jnx
    this is a long shot, i'm currently hiking in arizona several days a week, i'm wondering if any of the enabled maps would be causing the issue....
    i'm wondering if i disable, worldwide dem basemap and topoactive americas central... and keep enabled topoactive americas north and garmin dem map north america would that possibly help solve the problem.....
    bottom line, does it matter if you have all maps enabled????

zonahiker, Dec 7, 2022
  10. zonahiker

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I'm not sure if having all maps being enabled is causing your problem but I would always suggest that you disable all maps and then re-enable only one at a time, this is because there is no indication which map (or maps) is being used at any one time, I have seen an unofficial list of the order in which maps are prioritised but the only way you can be certain which map is being used is for it to be the only one enabled

You can monitor if your assent / decent problem gets better or worse while using different single maps, I can't see any advantage to having multiple maps covering the same area enabled at the same time

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 7, 2022
Ask a Question