Etrex 35t newbie Questions

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Mudmonkey, Dec 23, 2020.

1. Mudmonkey

Mudmonkey

Hi Folks,

I'm hoping you can help me, and that I am using the correct terminology for what I am trying to explain.

I'm thinking about getting the Etrex 35t to mainly help with routing on bikepacking ventures, and use it for a backup when hiking and taking GPS points when wildlife surveying. I would also like to be able to transfer recorded data at the end of rides/hikes to Strava (via Garmin Connect). Is this possible?

I currently synch completed rides etc via my Forerunner 235 watch, which uploads to Garmin Connect and then synchs to Strava. I think the Etrex 35t can do this too?? - it certainly has Bluetooth capacity, but I wanted to double check if it would definitely upload ride data (speed, heart rate, distance, time, elevation) to Garmin Connect. I believe it is possible to broadcast my HR to the unit from my watch due to the ANT+ tech, but also wanted to check to see if anyone else has done this?

Can I also ask about routes created in Strava (or Basecamp) and exported into the Etrex as GPX files? Once in the unit, can you click on them to make them 'live' so that they record the ride data as you go (speed, distance, elevation, time heart rate etc)? Or is it only a 'track' that is able to do this?

I'm perhaps wanting to have my cake and eat it, but I can't afford to buy a bike specific unit and a traditional GPS unit for the hills with OS mapping on it, and am looking to the Etrex 35t to hopefully be able to do both, albeit perhaps not as slickly as say an Edge would do for the bike related stuff.

Many thanks in advance.

Mudmonkey, Dec 23, 2020
  2. Mudmonkey

Mudmonkey

Also to add, I'm not sure if TCX files are more appropriate, or indeed what the difference is between them and a GPX file. I may also be using the terms tracks and routes wrongly!

Mudmonkey, Dec 23, 2020
  3. Mudmonkey

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I think your choice of the Etrex 35 Touch is a good one, because although it may not be a dedicated cycling GPS it does have fitness options not present on walking / hiking units

Here is a downloadable user guide that may answer a lot of your questions: -
    http://static.garmin.com/pumac/etrex_touch_25_35_OM_EN.pdf

It might be worth having a look at the way Garmin use the words Route, Track etc. when talking about their GPS devices, some devices will only accept Tracks, others accept both

All Garmin devices can output and input Track files, they usually only carry location, time/date, altitude data, no fitness data such as heart rate, however the Etrex35 can also output 'FIT' files (to Garmin Connect), that does have this data, as far as I know the Etrex35 won't handle TCX files

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 23, 2020
  4. Mudmonkey

Mudmonkey

Thank you I'll check it out!

Mudmonkey, Dec 23, 2020
Ask a Question