Exploring 500 died

Discussion in 'Magellan GPS' started by Ken Holmes, Jul 22, 2021.

1. Ken Holmes

Ken Holmes

My Explorist 500 just stopped working after years of good service. It failed to start on my last backtrail ride. It had worked fine several weeks prior. Is there a way to reset these little units? I always use while plugged in to ATV power outlet. If battery has gone bad will this stop unit from turning on even when using external power? Sure hope someone can help.

Ken Holmes, Jul 22, 2021
  2. Ken Holmes

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I have no experience of Magellan units, but I have definately seen Garmin units that won't power up or function correctly using an external power supply when the internal (Backup) battery of the unit is faulty

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 24, 2021
  3. Ken Holmes

Ken Holmes

Thank you very much! You got me to thinking this could be the problem. I went on the search and found the small triple A adapter that came with the unit when new. Still in my headboard after I don't know how many years. Anyway, I removed the rechargeable battery that has been in the unit since new and installed 3 triple A's. Bingo! I have my unit back. So happy. This is just a little Explorist 500 but it was tweeked by a chap that used to be the Magellan service rep for all of Canada. He discovered the software on this little unit could be upgraded to a much more expensive and comprehensive unit. I was looking for him to help but unfortunately he was killed in a car accident 3 years ago. Thanks again for your suggestion.

Ken Holmes, Jul 27, 2021
  4. Ken Holmes

jsp737

I just made the same transition to AAAs in my Explorist 600. How long are your AAA batteries lasting?

jsp737, Aug 15, 2022
  5. Ken Holmes

Ken Holmes

I dont think they last very long. Maybe 5 or 6 hours steady but not really sure. I plug my GPS into my ATV and use external power. The issue I was having is my GPS wouldn't turn on with the old dead rechargeable batteries in the unit eventhough I was plugged in to external power. By putting in regular batteries it somehow completed a circuit to allow power up. Use Duracell Copper Top and keep 3 back-up batteries with you. Sorry that is the best advice I can give.

Ken Holmes, Aug 16, 2022
  6. Ken Holmes

Ken Holmes

My neighbour also has eXplorist 500 from years ago and his rechargeable battery has also died. He has lost the triple A battery adapter over the years. Can parts for the old 500's still be acquired? Can you buy replacement rechargeable batteries for these units? I would be interested in one myself so could use the unit away from ATV. Any help would be appreciated.

Ken Holmes, Sep 26, 2022
Ask a Question