External registration of waypoints?

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by often, Feb 20, 2019.

1. often

often

Hello!
    I want to measure objects from an external tool that I want to connect via Bluetooth or other to my GPS.
    (May be a phone or Ipad or an external GPS)
    I do not want to register the coordinates for the item directly by pushing on the GPS-unit,
    I just want the tool to trigger the measurement, for example through a microcontroller?
    Is there anyone here who knows any ready-made solution that you can use as triggering the measurement?
    Grateful for answers!
    Best regards Henrik

often, Feb 20, 2019
  2. often

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Most GPSs have a 'Mark', MOB etc. feature to store the current location, however it usually entails more than one button press e.g. Mark >> Enter, on hand held GPSs, I don't think it is possible to do this remotely, via say Bluetooth or Ant comms.

I think it may be easier to use the GPS built into a smartphone and find (or write) an App. To store the current location with a single key press, the headphone socket on most Android smartphones, can be used as an input for example to trigger a selfie photograph, so it may be possible to use this input to trigger a 'Mark' location

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 21, 2019
    often likes this.
  3. often

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I have had another thought, if you turn on 'location' so that your smartphone geo-tags your photos, this would store the Latitude and Longitude in the Exif header of each photograph, so an external 'selfie' button would store the current location within each photograph every time it was activated

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 24, 2019
    often likes this.
  4. often

often

Thanx for reply!
    I've send the Q to the manufacturer of my device and l'll bring the answer here if possible to do it.

often, Feb 26, 2019
  5. often

often

Do you Think a BT remote Control would work to trig the measurement or will it only work with the camera ?
    f ex renkforce bt-remote

often, Feb 28, 2019
  6. often

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The only input to a smartphone that is easy to use is the headphone socket, the 'Selfie' switch used to take a photograph is triggered by placing a switch from the microphone (Mic In) input to ground (GND), temporarily shorting out the microphone, here is the diagram :-
    4way-jack.jpg

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 28, 2019
Ask a Question