Ford Factory GPS - Using Whereis Maps

Discussion in 'GPS Technical Discussion' started by Rayban76, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Rayban76

Rayban76

Hello I am new here but have a question for anyone who might be able to assist.

I am in Australia and have a Ford Falcon FG2 with Factory SatNav in the screen, Ford Australia no longer supports map updates for it and as it is 2014 maps this is crazy.

The factory system runs a version of iGO (developed by NNG Kft), running 2 licenses Sumitomo Australia and New Zealand & Sumitomo Aus+NZ 2012 Q4.
    the Maps List shows the following: Australia 18 (WhereIS map data is [110126], Base Map 2009.09 (data source C Nima VMAPO [091215] and New Zealand 7 (WhereIS map data [110125].

I do not care or need to update the NZ maps, just the Australia.

When I plug a USB in and go to update, it copies the files needed to the USB under a NaviSync folder.inside that folder it has similar to my iGO portable unit the following folders: Content, License, save and the 2 files.

I went in to the Content folder and the main difference I could see in all the folders including the MAP folder is that the files all have the standard iGO file extension of .fbl and .fda, HOWEVER after every file name and extension it then also has .stm at the end.

I have tried copying my new maps from iGO primo and adding the .stm at the end of all the relevant files but still no luck being able to update it.

Is there anyone on here who is able to help please, I have a full copy of the files that the Cars SatNav puts on to the USB ready for updating and can provide them to anyone able to assist.

Please help.

Ray

Rayban76, Mar 19, 2017
  2. Rayban76

Ian054

Hi Ray,
    i have been on this quest for the last 3 years. I bought and XR6 FG Mk2 band new, and paid extra for the luxury pack to get the factory sat nav etc. From the first service I have been chasing ford and others for a way to upgrade the maps. Roads have changed so fast around Sydney that I keep ending up on the wrong street, or blocked and in some instances driving in paddocks (according to the maps). As recent as yesterday (60k service) ford told me that I could buy an upgrade for $395, but they would not guarantee the accuracy of the maps. That is just ridiculous. I have tried all the forums, and just found y our post. you seem to have got further than most, so I would be interested to see how you go. If you want to provide me a set of files, I will have a play as well..
    Thanks

Ian

Ian054, Apr 7, 2017
  3. Rayban76

Rayban76

Hello Ian,

I have also spoken with Ford, the last update available for the FG2 is the 2015 Maps, there will not be any other release apart from these for the FG2 and Ford will only support the 2015 update until December this year then it will not even be available from them.

I am in the middle of finding a person who can hack in to this software and be able to add files (I have a licenced version of the latest 2016 WhereIs maps that I would like to have installed in to the Factory unit.

Ray

Rayban76, Apr 9, 2017
  4. Rayban76

dogsfoot

any update on your quest for this ?

dogsfoot, Jul 18, 2017
  5. Rayban76

Ted

Hi all: Just new to the this forum. I have just purchased a Ford territroy SZ 2011 and the map update is one of my disappointments from Ford. If there is any updates or way to update the GPS in my car could someone post this information.

Ted, Dec 17, 2017
  6. Rayban76

Dm_gps

I too have a 2011 SZ loaded with the same vintage maps as Ray, and am highly motivated to find a way to upgrade.
    Ray, did you have any success with devising an upgrade hack? Does anyone know what style of protection is applied to the files?
    Cheers
    Dion

Dm_gps, Feb 23, 2018
  7. Rayban76

Ted

I did some research and found they could be TOM TOM maps. I have emailed Tom Tom and they wont reply.

Ted, Feb 23, 2018
  8. Rayban76

Markart

I too have the same problem. We have an FG2 ute and a sedan in our fleet- New Zealand. . We paid for the update in the sedan from Ford and it was not very good so the ute missed out. It took all day and was a voyage of discovery for the dealer. Whereis maps was taken over by TomTom in OZ and I too have found them to be uninterested in fixing this Ford stuffup! One has to question why FordOZ thought it was a good idea to use Whereis just for the FG2. Any other Ford - no problem, but the design dept really had a brain freeze when they selected Whereis.

We are having to keep the ute for another five -10 years at least as we cannot replace it with anything as good, so we NEED an update solution. Interesting, Ford in NZ are probably in breach of the consumer laws as service and parts must be available for at least 7 years after last sale date.Typical corporates I guess, all seem to be willing lawbreakers.
    Does anybody know if there is a class action lawsuit against Ford for this?

Markart, May 24, 2018
  9. Rayban76

Dm_gps

Hate to admit defeat, but I gave up on this. My Ford dealer recently advised there WAS an upgrade available, not sure if true, but they couldn't even advise what year the upgrade was.
    It makes no sense to be fleeced for their upgrades when the price of car satnavs has plummeted due to the smartphone threat.
    I bought a 'Garmin DriveAssist 51 LMT-S GPS Navigator' for $378, comes with lifetime map upgrades and live traffic. Also has a dashcam. Installed it myself, directly above the existing screen. Can provide photos etc if helpful. Doesn't impair forward vision, nice and stable, cables not visible. It's so much faster than the Ford satnav, including fast traffic guidance that seems trustworthy.

Dm_gps, May 25, 2018
  10. Rayban76

Markart

Hi Guys, I see this went dead in may 2018 so am assuming you have all found either ASL or Carbon car systems in OZ, both Sydney I think. If so, can you tell me what you bought and how good it is? I want to buy an upgrade for my FG2 Ute and am not sure which is best.

Markart, Apr 20, 2021
Ask a Question