G-Paws problem

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by Pete Tee, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Pete Tee

Pete Tee

Hi all I am a total noob so please bear with me...I have a G-paws tracker for keeping an eye on one of my wayward cats..The problem is that the Latitude reads 5 deg N ..it should be 50 deg which is where I am ???? I cant seem to adjust this without manually changing every single reading in notepad....I would like to know A can this be sorted on the Unit ? or B is there anyway that I Could change the readings En Masse ? The G-Paws website has NOT been available for weeks so I cant get help from them.....Many thanks in advance Pete

Pete Tee, Jul 4, 2017
  2. Pete Tee

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Are all the other digits recorded correctly? , Is the Longitude recorded correctly?, I think it is very unlikely that you will be able to set the tracker to correct this error, I think the unit is faulty.

You could use a text editor to find and replace all occurrences of this error as long as it is unique, e.g. find "N5" and replace with "N50"

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 4, 2017
  3. Pete Tee

Pete Tee

Hi thanks for the reply..everything else is OK apart from the latitude problem....a txt editor is the likely solution ...have you any recommendations as to which editor to use ? thanks again Pete

Pete Tee, Jul 4, 2017
  4. Pete Tee

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Windows Notepad will do this, open the file with Notepad, select Edit >> Replace and enter N5 and N50 then click on Replace All :-

G-Paws.jpg

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 4, 2017
    Ian likes this.
  5. Pete Tee

Pete Tee

Hi ....Sorted Thank you for your quick reply and help in getting this fixed for me..I really appreciate this ..Pete

Pete Tee, Jul 4, 2017
  6. Pete Tee

Mori

Hello,

I have a G-Paws GPS tracker (for my cat) I bought some years ago. It worked fine but then I stored it (OFF) and now it simply won't do its thing. The original manufacturer seems to have dropped off the Earth, the official helpdesk is gone, and so is the official website.

Does anyone know anything about this tracker? It just flashes red (supposed to flash blue if good GPS lock), then stop flashing altogether.

When connecting to the PC via USB it will sometimes let me browse the files (no new GPS files are made, however, even when I go around driving with it). But it will then cut off and not mount again.

I expect this is probably the EOL for this thing, although I see you are still using one.

P.S. I am in Australia if that matters.

Thanks!

Mori, Dec 31, 2017
  7. Pete Tee

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Any GPS device that has been 'stored' for a while will take longer to find satellites, this is because the unit stores info. on where the satellites are in the sky so it knows what to look for, after being stored this info. can't be used so the unit has to search 'blind' which takes longer.

Make sure the unit's batteries are fully charged and then place it in an area away from buildings, trees etc. where it has a clear view of the sky, leave the unit in the same location for as long as possible, checking from time to time to see if the unit has a satellite 'fix', I would say if the unit does not get a fix in a hour or so, it isn't going to work

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 2, 2018
    Mori likes this.
  8. Pete Tee

Mori

OK I will have another go. I have left it fully charged and for a long time but there have been trees around, I guess. I can find an elevated spot somewhere where the horizon is visible. After that I will finally write it off. Cheers for the reply!

Mori, Jan 2, 2018
  9. Pete Tee

Luckyswed

Hi Mori!
    I had the same problem but it turned out that my battery was weakened. So I replaced the battery in the gps then it worked again.

// M

Luckyswed, Feb 3, 2018
    Mori likes this.
  10. Pete Tee

Mori

Thank you. What did you do to replace the batteries?

Mori, Feb 4, 2018
  11. Pete Tee

Luckyswed

Luckyswed, Feb 4, 2018
  12. Pete Tee

Mori

Mori, Feb 4, 2018
  13. Pete Tee

Jpsimons89

Howdy, I have the same problem with connecting to my computer. The light turns green and flashes red. And then I can’t read the files and doesn’t show on my PC. Any idea?

Jpsimons89, Jul 24, 2019
  14. Pete Tee

piggyowner

i have an g paw cat tracker,but im unable to upload the data.,not sure how to or on what maps.has anyone any ideas ?

piggyowner, May 3, 2020
  15. Pete Tee

Andrewm

hi got g-paws from ebay to track my cat. and thought it would be just an easy thing to use
    starting from i thing it has some missing files or something on it as nothings getts installed or no software commes up
    the device was recognized by windows pc but few files in there and only one can e opened
    can anyone send me software or how can i get it running.?
    thanks in advance

Andrewm, Feb 5, 2021
  16. Pete Tee

Catalyst

I was one of the first to buy a G-Paws device and it gave me quite a lot of connection and location problems, so I took it back to their offices in Marlborough and exchanged it for the later model - and it works perfectly. This one (that I used for the first time in 4 years today!) has some files on it that apparently 'clear' the software. The files on the root are CONFIG.TXT, GPSFILECHECK.EXE, READMEFILE.DOC, TEST0000.TXT - maybe these files will help any old unit to work correctly - if so - let me know and I can send them. As for the operation, when it takes a reading it flashes red and if it has a GPS fix then it shows blue - which means that the flash is more purple. There are some useful hintts in the readme file. The one thing I miss is the web site as it allowed you to 'walk' through time. I can plot the gpx file onto many free viewers but I haven't found one that allows me to click and drag on the time as the route is displayed.

Catalyst, Feb 7, 2021
  17. Pete Tee

Catalyst

You don't need to install software to make it work - all the operational software is on the chip inside. However mine has some files in the root that might help - here they are in a zip.

Attached Files:

Catalyst, Feb 7, 2021
Ask a Question