Galileo sats

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by IncrêdîblêFôx, Jun 14, 2018.

1. IncrêdîblêFôx

IncrêdîblêFôx

Does anyone know when my Nuvi will be able to sync with the European Galileo satellites?

IncrêdîblêFôx, Jun 14, 2018
  2. IncrêdîblêFôx

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

If you are talking about a Nuvi that you already own, I would say the answer is never, to add a new satellite constellation such as Galileo, Glonass, Beidou etc. to a unit that only has GPS, would not be just a software / firmware upgrade, it would require new hardware i.e. a different GNSS receiver chip.

There are products currently available that receive GPS, Glonass and Beidou, I have a Samsung Tablet that does this (although I don't know of any Nuvis that do this), there are newer GNSS chips available that will receive GPS, Glonass, Beidou, Galileo, QZSS (Japan only) etc on both L1 and L5, for example the Broadcom 47755, this chip would require only software updates for Galileo because the hardware is already in place, however it may quite a long time before a Nuvi, Drive or Drivesmart is sold that do what you ask

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 14, 2018
  3. IncrêdîblêFôx

IncrêdîblêFôx

Thanks, receiving Galileo and the other systems you mention is not really necessary for my nav, I just was interested.

IncrêdîblêFôx, Jun 14, 2018
  4. IncrêdîblêFôx

IncrêdîblêFôx

Does it really make sense if a unit can receive GPS, Galileo, Glonass etc. at the same time? Geodetically speaking it does not, because seeing four sats already does the trick (determine 3D co-ordinates and time), though better is five for control.
    But, since the positions of the sats in the sky also influences the precision/reliability of the fix, safe is seven/eight birds.

IncrêdîblêFôx, Jun 28, 2018
  5. IncrêdîblêFôx

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

If you have 20 / 30 visible satellites to choose from instead of a maximum of 12 with GPS, you can pick the best 4 / 5 / 6 positions in the sky (I would guess the further away from each other the better), as 4, 5, 6 very close together will produce less accuracy

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 28, 2018
  6. IncrêdîblêFôx

IncrêdîblêFôx

.... and especially much less reliability. I think Gôrmin takes that into account.

IncrêdîblêFôx, Jun 29, 2018
Ask a Question