GARMIN 1030

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by collinsjon, Jun 29, 2020.

1. collinsjon

collinsjon

When I select navigation, courses, saved courses and select a downloaded route, select ride, press tick, the device switches itself off. Anyone else had the same problem?

Thanks,

Jon.

collinsjon, Jun 29, 2020
  2. collinsjon

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Q1) Has this 'select ride' feature worked in the past?
    Q2) What has changed on the 1030 recently, e.g. new maps, new software, new downloaded Routes etc.
    Q3) Have you tried different downloaded Routes?, maybe some new, some old

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 29, 2020
  3. collinsjon

collinsjon

Thanks Nuvi-Nebie. I plotted a route yesterday and uploaded it to the device. I selected the ride as if I was going to ride it and the device stayed on when i selected ride. I went to do the ride this morning and it took 3 attempts to get the device to stay on after I had selected ride. Then 41 miles into the ride the device switched itself off, something which has happened on numerous occasions previously. The problem of the device turning off when I have selected ride has only started happening for about a month.
    Regards,

Jon.

collinsjon, Jun 30, 2020
  4. collinsjon

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

So . . .
    Q1) = Yes, sometimes?
    Q2) = Not Answered
    Q3) = Not Answered

Will you answer the questions in post #1?
    also . . .
    Q4) Does the 1030 turn off when performing other actions apart from selecting this particular ride?

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 30, 2020
  5. collinsjon

collinsjon

Q1. Select ride has worked in the past with no problem.
    Q2. Latest software update was on the 12th. June, version 7.0.1.0.
    Q3. I have cleared the device off all routes and will reload some and see what happens.
    Q4. Device just turns itself off whilst riding. I thought it might be a dodgy on/off button, but on Sunday I had to divert my route across a field which was rough and the device stayed on.

collinsjon, Jun 30, 2020
  6. collinsjon

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

OK so the unit will follow some downloaded Routes without turning off

Did the unit stop working at the same time as the new software was loaded?

Have you loaded any new Maps, if so which maps were downloaded ?, a corrupted map can make the unit turn off

You say the unit "turns itself off whilst riding" but Q4 was trying to find out if the unit turns off when you are not trying to follow this new downloaded Route, in other words is the problem linked to this new Route or does it turn off at other times?

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 30, 2020
  7. collinsjon

collinsjon

I have had the device since April 2018 when it was new. The SD card in the 1030 is from my Edge 800 (which still works fine). The 1030 turns it's self off whether I am following a route downloaded to it or if I am just out riding. I now have cleared all routes from it and downloaded 4 routes onto it. When I press "ride" the device switched off. It did this for all 4 routes. This problem was apparent before the latest software download.

collinsjon, Jul 1, 2020
  8. collinsjon

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

OK so it is not a problem that only happens when trying to follow a downloaded Route, it just happens randomly, I think this could be a problem caused by using a microSD from your Edge 800, what does the microSD card contain?, eg. maps?, files generated by the Edge 800?, I would try using the 1030 without the microSD card for a while to see if it still randomly turns off

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 1, 2020
  9. collinsjon

collinsjon

Hi, I have removed the SD card from the device and have opened four routes downloaded to the device and all opened ok without the device switching off. Will have to see when next out riding whether the device still switches itself off. I am a little baffled that if the SD card is the cause of the problem, why it has taken 2 years to cause the problem. Is there a way to se if the SD card is corrupted in any way, it should only contain the map which was on it when purchased with my 800 a few years ago.? Thanks for your help it has been much appreciated.

collinsjon, Jul 2, 2020
  10. collinsjon

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Another possible problem related to maps is that, if you create a Route using the map in say Basecamp and download the Route to a GPS that is using a different map this can cause problems, so you should always use exactly the same map on both the computer that generates the Route and the GPS that uses the Route

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 2, 2020
  11. collinsjon

collinsjon

Just an update. Have done 21 rides, some downloaded, some not, and the device has worked fine and stayed on. Just one problem remaining, is that when I stop pedalling the cadence window on the device does not always return to zero and shows various figures, i.e 1 or 5 or 9. Thanks for your past help.

collinsjon, Aug 21, 2020
Ask a Question