Garmin 111 Personal Navigator

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by StokieChris, Dec 28, 2020.

1. StokieChris

StokieChris

Does anyone know how to change the internal lithium battery. I’ve asked Garmin UK direct and was advised to clear off as they no longer support their own kit

StokieChris, Dec 28, 2020
  2. StokieChris

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Can you supply the full name of your garmin unit as 111 or iii or III is used on a few different units, if your unit is the Garmin GPS III Plus there is a PDF that covers battery replacement, note that the 'Plus' has a rechargeable battery but the none plus is sometimes reported as having a non-rechargable battery so you must check what is in your unit and replace with it with the same type

Attached Files:

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 28, 2020
  3. StokieChris

StokieChris

Hopefully you can see attached

Attached Files:

StokieChris, Dec 29, 2020
  4. StokieChris

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

It isn't the 'Plus'
    2020-12-29_13.01.11.jpg

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 29, 2020
  5. StokieChris

StokieChris

Agreed, it isn't a "Plus".

Does this mean the internal lithium battery and the way to replace it is different?

6. StokieChris

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I would guess the way of getting the case open will be the same, I would also guess that you would de-solder or cut out (leaving tags sticking out), in the same way, however you would need to clearly indentify what battery is fitted some batteries fitted to Garmin devices are not re-chargeable and although I think an exploding battery is an extreme outcome, trying to charge this type of battery will reduce it's life, on the other hand fitting a re-chargeable battery in error will also reduce it's life as they usually have a smaller capacity, are usually not supplied fully charged, will lose their charge over time (even when not supplying any power) and obviously won't be getting charged by the GPS circuitry

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 29, 2020
  7. StokieChris

StokieChris

Is it scrap, do you think?

I know its old but it works perfectly well on the AA batteries. It just has no memory.

8. StokieChris

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

It depends how often you use it, it will take longer to get a satellite fix without the backup battery because it holds an almanac of data, but if you don't mind waiting a little longer then that isn't a problem. If you know someone with an electronics background it would be a fairly simple task to change the backup battery

If you are lucky the almanac data may be maintained by the backup battery long enough to allow you to change the AA batteries, if so you would need to ensure that the unit is stored with working AA batteries at all times to avoid the long wait to gain new almanac data

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 29, 2020
  9. StokieChris

StokieChris

Sir, you've been a massive help! The replacement battery might be a problem because it's only available in the USA, apparently? However, I'm actively seeking a replacement as I'm not prepared to give up on it just yet!! Thanks again.

StokieChris, Dec 31, 2020
  10. StokieChris

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You would have to open your unit to determin what battery it contains but if it is the VL1220 I have purchased them from UK suppliers via Ebay in the past, there is one CLICK HERE
    Have a search on Ebay

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 31, 2020
  11. StokieChris

StokieChris

Hi!

New battery off eBay for £4.95 and a local TV repair guy did the soldering for me.

It's like NEW and I'm thrilled to bits with it.

Thanks again for your help.

StokieChris, Jan 8, 2021
  12. StokieChris

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Glad to be of help

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 8, 2021
Ask a Question