Garmin 205,can't access sattelites

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by mldave, Apr 9, 2019.

1. mldave

mldave

Tried holding the on/off switch down..tried the bottom right corner for reset.just use the GPS for the speedometer feature.What else besides buying a different one can I do?

mldave, Apr 9, 2019
  2. mldave

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Your only hope is to fully charge the Nuvi 205 and then place it outdoors away from buildings, trees etc. for as long as possible, obviously this has to be done on a dry day as the unit isn't waterproof. Your unit has an internal oscillator that is used to 'sync' with the satellite signals, but if it is too far from optimal, it won't get the signal in the first place.

If the unit won't operate on it's internal battery, it's posible that replacing the battery could fix the problem because a faulty battery can affect the unit's performance even when powered from the USB conector, to try this out you could disconnect the internal battery and power the unit via USB, if this gets a satellite 'fix', then you need to replace the internal battery

Nuvi-Nebie, Apr 10, 2019
  3. mldave

mldave

Nuvi-Nebie,I chargedit up for over four hours yesterday and it ran for ahile and after that it would keep returning to the Garmin logo and then shut off.

mldave, Apr 10, 2019
  4. mldave

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The unit should last up to 4 hours after a full charge, if it only lasts a few minutes then the battery needs replacing, this may be the cause of the 'no fix' but it is only a maybe. If you can open the unit and disconnect the battery and power the unit via USB you may get a 'fix', it's worth a try

Nuvi-Nebie, Apr 11, 2019
  5. mldave

Trickdog

Mine hadn't been getting sattelite signals, but I tried plugging it in and bringing up the sattelite menu, which you can do by holding down the signal strength bars, and it started to connect to more sattelites!

Trickdog, Jan 26, 2020
Ask a Question