Garmin 2595LMT lack of memory space

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by GPS user, Aug 30, 2022.

1. GPS user

GPS user

Hi, I have a Garmin 2595LMT and I just recently tried to install a new map update from Garmin Express and I can't, it gave me this message below:

"The latest version of these maps have so much new information that we're not going to be able to fit it all on your device's internal memory. Here's what you can do: Use a Memory card or Choose a Region".

I don't have a memory card at this time. Can I erase/delete certain unimportant things off my device to free up space or like a hard reset or???

Is it possible to free up memory space on my device to download the latest map updates?

GPS user, Aug 30, 2022
  2. GPS user

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The simple answer is no, maps require 10 times more memory than all the remaining code so it isn't possible, it is very simple (and cheap) to get hold of a 32GB microSD card for your 2595, you will then have more than enough space to store multiple maps

Note, The cheapest microSD card will work in the 2595, you don't need anything that says 'Pro' or 'Ultra' or 'Extreme' as these more expensive cards are only needed for recording video / pictures at high speed

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 30, 2022
  3. GPS user

GPS user

Does the microSD card need to always stay plugged into the gps when using it while driving or is the only time the microSD card is used is to download maps?

GPS user, Aug 30, 2022
  4. GPS user

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The microSD card stays plugged into the GPS and becomes part of it's 'memory', downloaded maps are stored on it and read from it during navigation, is that a problem ?

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 30, 2022
  5. GPS user

GPS user

I bought a Sandisk microSD 64GB and I just installed it. I might have installed it upside down? I'm not sure. Let me explain how I installed the microSD into my Garmin...

With the Garmin GPS lying flat on the table, the touch screen is facing up looking at me. The gold connectors on the microSD are also facing up towards me as that is how it was plugged in. Did I plug it in the right way?

GPS user, Aug 31, 2022
  6. GPS user

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I'm guesing you are asking this question because the microSD card is not working? , I specifically said in post # 2 :-
    This is because Garmin states that 32GB is the maximum card size that your 2595 can use not 64GB (only microSD and microSD HC not XC or UC)

MicroSD. . . . = up to 2GB
    MicroSD HC = 4GB to 32GB
    MicroSD XC = 64GB to 2TB
    MicroSD UC = 4TB to 128TB

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 31, 2022
  7. GPS user

GPS user

Yes, you are correct, my bad. I will replace the 64GB with a 32GB. Thank you.

GPS user, Aug 31, 2022
  8. GPS user

GPS user

I went to Best Buy and the only 32GD microSD they had was the Sandisk Ultra Plus micro SDHC UHS-I. It is 32GB. Will this one work for my Garmin 2595LMT

GPS user, Aug 31, 2022
  9. GPS user

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

All 32GB cards are 'HC' so that won't be a problem, as far as I know the Ultra Plus uhs I is just a faster write speed (for fast video etc.), So that shouldn't be a problem either

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 31, 2022
Ask a Question