Garmin 2689LMT Voice Assist, very strange issue.

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by cosrocket, Oct 10, 2017.

1. cosrocket

cosrocket

I have a Garmin 2689LMT which I used on a recent trip. It was so frustrating because the voice commands rarely registered correctly. Even when I would ask it an address with the AC off and no noise in the car it wouldn't get it correctly. It was so bad I decided not to use the voice assistant at all. I am US born with no accent so there was no reason for it to be so bad in understanding what I was saying.

So today just for the heck of it I decided to change the spoken language of the 2689LMT from the default Samantha USA English to the British English voice. I wanted to see how it sounded so I used the voice assist and asked it a few questions and it understood what I was saying every time! I then did an experiment. 3 times I told it my address with the Samantha US English voice and it didn't get it even once, either it answered back another house number or it said there was no such address. Then I changed to the British English and told it my address 3 times and each time it found it and asked me if I wanted to navigate to it!

Before I went on my trip I had updated the 2689LMT, so could something strange have happened with the update? I am at a loss as to why another language setting would effect the voice assist understanding what I am saying. I wouldn't even mind keeping it on the British voice but there are certain things it does not say unless you use the default Samantha USA voice.

cosrocket, Oct 10, 2017
Ask a Question