Garmin 3590....won't turn off with car ign. switch

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by oldefart, Feb 2, 2020.

1. oldefart

oldefart

I've had half a dozen Garmin GPS's in my life....they have all turned on and off with the ignition. switch in my cars. Well, my newly purchased 3590 will not. It has a sleep feature and and off feature, but the only way I can get either to work is with the switch on the upper left corner of the unit. Can anyone tell me if I'm missing something, or is this just the nature of the beast? Any help would be appreciated!!!

Thanks Ken

oldefart, Feb 2, 2020
  2. oldefart

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Does the 3590 turn on when connected to a computer via USB?, this feature is mentioned in the Nuvi3590 user guide e.g. :-

It should also automatically switch to nornal navigation mode when the USB cable is disconnected

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 2, 2020
  3. oldefart

oldefart

Nuvi-Nebie.......I went thru the procedure you outlined for me and it acted just like it was supposed to. I went out and played with it again today....come to find out, the plug at the GPS end of the car charger was loose fitting where it plugged into the unit. I bent the male end of the plug enough to make it fit snug into the GPS,,,,,all is now well, and she behaves like she should. I want to thank you for taking the time to help!!!! much appreciated!

Ken

oldefart, Feb 4, 2020
  4. oldefart

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Glad you got it sorted, I'm guessing you was using an older in-car power connector rather than the new one supplied with the 3590

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 4, 2020
  5. oldefart

oldefart

N.N.....Having bought this GPS from the son of a father who passed away, I really can't be sure of the power connector.However, I'm very happy its up and running! Thanks again!

oldefart, Feb 5, 2020
  6. oldefart

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Sorry, I read 'newly purchased' as purchased new

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 5, 2020
  7. oldefart

oldefart

NN.....no need to be sorry......I'm very thankful for your posts which headed me in the direction that led me to be able to find and repair the problem!! Ken

oldefart, Feb 5, 2020
Ask a Question