Garmin 395LM

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Kwaka Z1000, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Kwaka Z1000

Kwaka Z1000

I have experienced a nightmare with my Garmin 395LM recently. I fitted a new mount for my motorbike where the lead from the power supply was too short; I extended the lead and although I have the correct power on the cradle the GPS would not fire up. It will start on its own battery and also if I attach by USB. My local shop confirmed that the correct power was available; I have heard that I may need a new lead; if that is so, does anybody know why, or have any idea what is going on please?

Kwaka Z1000, Oct 10, 2019
  2. Kwaka Z1000

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

When you say the unit 'will not fire up', does the unit do anything at all?, I.e. does it power up in data transfer mode rather than navigation mode?

I am not sure which cable you have extended, but if it is a cable with a mini USB plug on it that connects to the satnav, there is a possiblity that the problem is the fifth USB pin, Garmin sometimes use this fifth pin to tell the unit which mode to go into e.g.:-

garmin-power.jpg

If the Resistor 'R' was present in the originanal cable, then when extending the cable this component my have been disconnected, NOTE Data wires not required for Navigation

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 10, 2019
    Kwaka Z1000 likes this.
  3. Kwaka Z1000

Kwaka Z1000

Thank you very much for your swift reply: Yes the unit does absolutely nothing when mounted in the cradle. I cut the lead between the power input and the fuse, and inserted my extension, which I have since removed. I have not touched the mini USB cable which I only use to connect to the computer; and I have tried connecting, and that still works. My concern is that if I get a new cable, that will not work either and I have wasted my money. I was thinking that there could be some fuse in the device that has blown which is used solely for charging from the cradle, as all other methods work?

4. Kwaka Z1000

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I doubt that there is a fuse in the unit itself as there is an in-line fuse in the cable (between 2 and 3) :-

2019-10-10_14.19.31.jpg

There is a good chance that the 'black box' between 1 and 3 in the picture converts 12/24 volts into 5 volts before feeding it to the satnav

Nuvi-Nebie, Oct 10, 2019
    Kwaka Z1000 likes this.
  5. Kwaka Z1000

Kwaka Z1000

Thank you once more; I have changed the transformer already and still no luck! But as I mentioned I have checked the output from the transformer and it is steady on 5-6v. I also reloaded the software on the device, but this appears not to have helped. I have ordered a whole new loom, as shown in your diagram above, and I will see what happens then; it is certainly baffling!

Ask a Question