Garmin 64s Smart Notification

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Grizzster, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Grizzster

Grizzster

Hi all. I purchased the above model of GPS. I was under the impression that Garmin had updated it so that you could use an Android phone, I have an S3 to get the smart notifications. I read this on numerous websites. Is this true? I can get them both to pair up but I get no notifications. If so, how do I set this up to receive them. So far not overly impressed with this. Birdseye is aweful. I did manage to make a custom map with a lot better resolution so I was happier with that. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

Grizzster, Aug 23, 2015
  2. Grizzster

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The user manual (pages 6 and 7) only refer to iPhones rather than Android phone, however, I did find this :-

"Now not all Android phones will work with this. You’ll likely need one that has Bluetooth LE and is running Android version 4.3+."

from HERE, so maybe the user manual needs updating. It also looks like you may need Basecamp Mobile app or the Garmin Connect Mobile app, installed on the android smartphone

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 23, 2015
  3. Grizzster

ChuckT

I think Garmin uses "ANT" technology rather than licence "Bluetooth" so you need an app on the cellphone that also uses "ANT" AFAIK they are similar but _not_ equal. Apple iOS seems to have done this, most flavors of Android do not.

ChuckT, Nov 21, 2015
  4. Grizzster

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Smart Notifications from Garmin to smartphone are via Bluetooth (see link in #2), Ant is used for communication from a Garmin unit to another Garmin unit, for the sharing of data

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 22, 2015
Ask a Question