Garmin 64s vs Garmin inReach Explorer+

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by Matthew_H, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Matthew_H

Matthew_H

Hi All, I want to 1st thank anyone for your insight and help. I recently purchased a 64s at REI for a little over $200. I know the 24K maps cost $100 per 4 state region and the 100K map costs $100 for the entire US/N. America (less resolution) The unit is still in the box and I can return it. I am not a huge back country dude, yet I like idea having good nav if I want to really explore. Now on the communication option, also very appealing if I am close or way out there (wife likes to know I am ok...). Before I make a map investment in the 64s or return I wanted your perspective please. I called Garman. All they said is that the price for maps are $ and if you want inReach detail call them (fail Garmin).

1. How are the topo maps on the inReach?
    2. Is the mapping/Nav far superior on 64s vs the inReach Mapping?
    3. For my kind of use (not super heavy back country, more would like a way to navigate + communicate) would the Explorer+ be a better value (or) would the smarter play be keep the 64s and just get a older inReach for less? I looked into the Spot device too, but I wanted a bit more control over communicating.
    4. Do you recommend any other Garmin products or other products that would cover things.
    5. I don't mind spending a bit more $ to do this right. Carrying 2 devices is not preferred, but I'd do it if that was the best option.

Thanks so much for your insight and help.

Cheers, Matt H

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2017
    Matthew_H, Mar 2, 2017
    MildBill likes this.
  2. Matthew_H

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You really need to decide if you need satellite SOS messaging, as that is what you will be getting for the $450 + $150 (minimum) per year subscription you will have to pay for the inReach

You will have to checkout the reviews of the inReach maps as there won't be any owner comments for a while, I understand it won't accept USA 'quad' maps

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 2, 2017
    MildBill likes this.
Ask a Question