Garmin 64st lost preloaded geocaches

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by jeff43614, Mar 20, 2021.

1. jeff43614

jeff43614

Purchased the Garmin 64st early 2020. Used it once. I pulled it out last week and all 250,000 preloaded geocaches are gone. Spent an hour on the phone with Garmin customer service and they couldn't help. Suggested I send it back but because barely out of warranty, I would have to pay $110 to have it replaced and send it back at my cost. This is a known issue and they still refuse to honor the warranty. I've tried everything including a hard reset. I don't have a memory card in it as I only used it when the Boy Scouts went geocaching (which is why I bought it). Now, with all the geocaches gone, it's useless. Looking for any help please.

jeff43614, Mar 20, 2021
  2. jeff43614

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Garmin units including the GPSMap64st have problems with geocaches, usually they occur when extra geocaches are added to the preloaded ones, the unit seem to have difficulty creating a full list of sites when asked to merge them all together, if you have added your own geocaches to the 64st I would try removing them from the unit to see if this allows the preloaded to be displayed.

Personally I find that the preloaded geocaches are of little use as you only ever need to have 'local' sites on the unit, there is no point having info. on a geocache that is 1000 miles away and is also no longer available anyway, my advice would be to disable the preloaded geocaches and then just add the 20 / 30 that exist in the area you intend to use, data on the geocaching.com website is always up to date so you won't waste time on caches that were removed months / years earlier

For notes on how to disable the preloaded file Click HERE

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 21, 2021
Ask a Question