Garmin 65 POI uploads from Apple MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by tdsd, Aug 3, 2020.

1. tdsd

tdsd

Hi, I am a long time user of Garmin GPS and Apple MacBook Pro. Just sold my Garmin 61 and bought a 65. I'm using Catalina OS on the Mac. I can't get my computer to recognize my Garmin. Garmin tech has been no help. They don't seem to have a clue. Several recommendations but nothing works. They said I can only have one Garmin app open on my Mac at a time. When I open Garmin Uploader, Express opens also. I quit Express but my computer will still not see my Garmin. Need help from someone who knows. Terry

tdsd, Aug 3, 2020
  2. tdsd

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I don't own any Mac products so I won't be able to check this for myself, but has this only been a problem since changing to the Catalina OS or has it worked with Catalina in the past?, did your computer recognize your previous Garmin 61?, if so what OS was it running?

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 4, 2020
  3. tdsd

tdsd

Thanks for your input. My Garmin 61 uploaded OK with Catalina. I sold my 61 so I can't check it again to see if Catalina updates may be the problem. Just got the model 65 and my computer won't recogize it. Terry

tdsd, Aug 4, 2020
  4. tdsd

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

OK so 2 things changed since it was working :-

1 ) 61 changed for a 65
    2) newer version of Catalina

I I would expect all Garmin products to act in the same way when it comes to being recognised by your computer, so the possibilities are :-

1) The new version of Catalina or it's setup are causing the problem
    2) There is a problem with this particular 65 or it's cables

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 4, 2020
  5. tdsd

tdsd

Thank for the reply. If it were a Catalina problem, I would think a lot of people would but complaining unless only a few upload POIs to their Garmin. Garmin tech support did not seem to have a clue.
    I did not know the cable should be a problem. The 65 I bought did not have a cable. I found one that worked. It seems like it recongizes it is connected to a computer but the computer does not reconize the Garmin. Do I have to get a Garmin model related cable or will any Garmin cable work? Thanks again for the ideas. Terry

tdsd, Aug 4, 2020
  6. tdsd

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Some cables only power the unit, but if the computer can see the files on the unit and maybe read / write to the unit then the data wires must also be present, some garmin units use a fifth connector on the satnav end that controls which mode the unit operates in.

I'm guessing that if you didn't get a USB cable with the 65 then the unit wasn't new when you got it, just a thought, it may be faulty

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 4, 2020
  7. tdsd

tdsd

Thanks for the info, Unfortunally, I'm afraid you mat correct,The 65 seems to operate normally in all other aspects. I reset it and updated the software. It connects to my computer but the computer does not see it. So what do I do next? I can get another cable on ebay for about $7.00 but no assurance this cable will be any better than the one I have. Don't know what Garmin charges for a cable. Could just buy a new 65 but that would be an exspensive cure and what do I do if the new one has the same problem. I wish Garmin was more knowledgeable and helpful. Terry

tdsd, Aug 5, 2020
  8. tdsd

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I would try your 65 on another computer if you have access to one, possibly one running Windows, that would prove that the satnav interface and the cable is OK, you say in post #5, " It seems like it recongizes it is connected to a computer", how do you know it recognizes the computer?

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 6, 2020
  9. tdsd

tdsd

When I connect the Garmin 65 to the computer, it starts a countdown and I can pick between using the Garmin or connecting to the computer. If I do nothing, it connects to the computer and show the screen on the GPS that has always been there when I upload my POIs to other Garmins. I'd have to buy another 65. I suppose I could get one from Amazon and then return it but that would not be fair to Amazon. Most people don't upload POIs so the one I have would work fine but I can't sell it with this problem. Can the GPS software be completely replaced with a new set? Thanks Terry

tdsd, Aug 7, 2020
  10. tdsd

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Did you try it on a computer with a different operating system?

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 7, 2020
  11. tdsd

tdsd

No, I don't have another computer with an older OS. I'm pretty sure the cable is OK because I was able to update my maps using Express. I am working with Garmin Tech dept but they come up with complicated fixes that don't work. They say I can only have one Garmin program open at a time. When I open, "POI Uploader" Garmin "Express" opens also. I have quit Express and still did not work. I even removed Express from my computer and it still does not work. I would like to wipe my Garmin clean and reload it but not certain if I can do that. I asked Garmin Tech if it was possible. Don't understand why I seem to be the only one with this problem.

tdsd, Aug 7, 2020
  12. tdsd

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I'm a bit confused about this statement, when you connect the 65 to your computer, the screen on the 65 starts a countdown and then goes into a 'computer mode', the computer then automatically opens Garmin Express and successfully downloads map up dates, so I'm guessing that the only thing that does not work is POI Loader is that correct?

You need to do things in a particular order, try this, with your computer turned on but with no programs open, plugin in your 65, wait until Express automatically opens (this can take some time - my computer took 50 seconds), close Express, now open POI Loader >> Garmin Device >> Next >> select your device (your 65), if your 65 is not in the list select Find Device

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 7, 2020
  13. tdsd

tdsd

I did as you said. When I open, POI loader, I get the page that ask me if I want to remove software or add it. I've tried both but when I go to the next page the POI loader does not see my Garmin and there is no option in the select soure window.

tdsd, Aug 7, 2020
  14. tdsd

tdsd

I tried to use the POI loader using my wife's MacBook Air and it worked fine. So it appears I have an issue with my computer

tdsd, Aug 7, 2020
  15. tdsd

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Is the 'working' Macbook running the same version / type of operating system ?

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 7, 2020
  16. tdsd

tdsd

Yes, Catalina, I suspect that I have parts of another copy of POI Uploader in my computer some place. I've seen how to get rid of it but it seems complicated to me but I guess I'll have to give it a go unless you have some simple way to be sure a program has been "uninstalled". Thanks for all your help.
    At least now I know the problem. Terry

tdsd, Aug 7, 2020
  17. tdsd

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Sorry, I have no knowledge of Apple Mac operating systems

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 8, 2020
  18. tdsd

tdsd

I was able to remove all Garmin software and reloaded fresh copies and it now works. Can't remember how I removed old software so I hope I don't need to do it again.

tdsd, Aug 31, 2020
Ask a Question