Garmin Basecamp driving me crazy

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by PaulB82, Jun 18, 2018.

1. PaulB82

PaulB82

Hi All,

I'm quite new to Garmin and I'm certainly new to Basecamp. I must admit, it seems like a lot of convoluted faffery to me just to do the most simplest of things. Anyway, I'm touring on my bike in a few weeks and, anticipating a problem with getting routes off my laptop and on to my Garmin (because there always is), I decided to start early.

All my routes for each day have been done on Tyre - 12 routes in total, all of which have been saved as GPX files. Because that's what Garmin likes, apparently.

Simple A-to-B routes are fine. But the longer, twistier routes (which are long and twisty on purpose) are being ripped apart by Basecamp to the point where they are unrecognisable. I've tried holding Alt and shifting the route to match the track, but to no avail. I've tried importing the route to Google Maps and importing into Basecamp from there - still no avail. I've messed with the route settings (avoid motorways, dirt tracks etc.), and that worked a bit but not entirely. Everything I do leaves me with a route that goes down a road that Basecamp thinks is best for me, with little off-shoots which touch on the roads I actually want before making me do a U-turn and go back to the main road.

When I import the GPX files from my laptop, the route track (usually in grey) comes up exactly how I want it to be. But when the route is created, that's when it all goes belly up.

Can anybody, pleaseeeeee put me out of my misery and let me know how the hell I get Basecamp to stop changing stuff and just make a route out of the perfect tracks it has?? It doesn't need to do anything else!!

Thanks in advance,

Paul

PaulB82, Jun 18, 2018
  2. PaulB82

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 18, 2018
Ask a Question