Garmin BC-30 Cable

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by n4jee, May 21, 2020.

1. n4jee

n4jee

Am I correct is assuming that the cigarette lighter connector on the cable contains circuitry to reduce the voltage from 12 VDC to the ~ 5 VDC USB standard? Or is it just a plug and the conversion takes place elsewhere? I want to hard wire my GPS to a Switched 12 VDC source under the dash. I can wire a cigarette lighter socket under the dash or solder wires to the existing connector. The next problem is the hole that I have to drill in the dash. It would take a 1.75" hole to pass the plug through. Can the wires in the cable be cut, passed through a 3/16 hole and re-soldered? What size wires are in the cable, are they color coded, and are they solder-able? Some audio cables don't solder well. This is an expensive cable and I don't want to ruin it.

n4jee, May 21, 2020
  2. n4jee

n4jee

I guess I need to be more specific. This is the replacement power cable for the GPS unit which is supplied with the Back Up Camera and contains additional circuitry that receives the RF signal from the camera.

n4jee, May 21, 2020
  3. n4jee

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The cigarette lighter plug has an input of 12 - 24 Volts and an output of 5 Volts, the cable between this plug and the camera receiver carries 2 wires for the 5V and GND, there may also be an outer braid
    BC-30.jpg
    If other wires are found between the cigarette lighter plug and the camera receiver, it is possible they have added an antenna for the traffic (RDS) receiver which will be terminated at the receiver end only

Nuvi-Nebie, May 22, 2020
Ask a Question