Garmin Device that does Basecamp Routes

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Gps235RB, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Gps235RB

Gps235RB

Had a Nuvi 2455 a few years but never got it to show routes created in BaseCamp. It will show Waypoints etc but no routes. It will calculate it's own Route from home waypoint to the destination waypoint but sometimes the calculation refuses to use the toll road choice I want. (I don't have tolls selected in Avoidances) Running same 2020.2 North America maps on both the Nuvi and the computer.

Apparently I need to purchase a newer model. I'm looking at buying one of these,
    Garmin Nuvi 52LM or Garmin Drive 52LM.
    Appreciate input on either of these working with BaseCamp Routes?

Additionally any pro's and con's about either above two purchase choices or even another choice thought a better choice in similar price range ($125 to $190).(I don't use any Traffic stuff so that's not needed for me)
    Much appreciate any input.

Gps235RB, Sep 10, 2021
  2. Gps235RB

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Are you sure you are sending a Route from Basecamp to your 2455 and not a Track ?, some satnavs will only accept Routes from Basecamp

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 11, 2021
  3. Gps235RB

Gps235RB

Yes it is a Route, I don't do tracks, all my travels are in my Truck.
    The Route has my Home as the Start Point, then follows the Interstate to a Toll Road
    and then off to the final destination location.
    The Route shows up in Basecamp fine but when sent to the Nuvi 2455 it doesn't hold the same route as Basecamp but rather calculates it's own to a different toll road that I don't like and isn't much faster.
    Anyhow if I don't get any suggestions for newer Garmins that can handle routes from Basecamp with multiple shaping points I think I will try one of the Garmin Drive models next. I also saw a video that said the Nuvi 2689 would probably handle Basecamp custom routes. Appreciate any info anyone has on this.

Gps235RB, Sep 11, 2021
  4. Gps235RB

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

You can purchase a new satnav but you may find that you still get this problem, only the waypoints in a Route are fixed and the rest is calculated by the unit, if you want to use a certain toll road you simply add it as a shaping point when generating the Route in Basecamp, ideally if your satnav and Basecamp are setup the same, then they should generate the same path in a Route, but if something is different e.g. the map, shortest, fastest, avoid certain roads etc. then a different path will result, so it's easier to force the satnav to make the right decision by adding a shaping point or two

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 12, 2021
  5. Gps235RB

sillitol

We have the Garmin DriveSmart 65 and like it.
    I use Basecamp for plotting routes, then save to the GPS.
    As for your nuvi, did you try various methods to get the routes to it from BC?
    On my older nuvi, I tried Device > Send To Device and also tried copying the BC "list" directly to the internal data on the nuvi and/or to the micro sd card.
    Can't remember which worked the best, but I eventually got the points AND the routes to copy successfully.
    Good luck!
    LLOYD S

sillitol, Sep 14, 2021
  6. Gps235RB

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Although we have this statement from post #1 :-
    Code:
    Had a Nuvi 2455 a few years but never got it to show routes created in BaseCamp.

We then have this statement from post #3 :-
    Code:
    The Route shows up in Basecamp fine but when sent to the Nuvi 2455 it doesn't 
    hold the same route as Basecamp but rather calculates it's own

I think this shows that Routes are being sent from Basecamp to the 2455, but that the 2455 is interpreting them differently, Garmin Basecamp never sends details of the roads to follow, it only sends a set of waypoints as a 'Route Group' so that the satnav can re-calculate this Route

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 15, 2021
Ask a Question