Garmin drive 51. continuous speed alerts?

Discussion in 'Other GPS Devices' started by Baustin, Jul 15, 2023.

1. Baustin

Baustin

My Garmin Drive 51 only seems to alert when entering a speed limit area. It does not alert if I accidently exceed the limit in that area.
    My Nuvi does emit an alert whenever I drift over the limit.
    Is there a setting in the 51 for continual warnings inside a speed zone,please?
    Baustin

Baustin, Jul 15, 2023
  2. Baustin

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

There are a few different settings that affect this, there are :-

Setting >> Proximity Alerts >> Audio >> Tone Off
    Setting >> Proximity Alerts >> Alerts >> Garmin Safety Cameras /Custom POIs

But the one that I think you need is this one :-

Settings >> Map & Vehicle >> Audible Speed Alerts >> ON

NOTE :- that the Map used must have speed data for each road, Garmin maps usually have this but third party maps often don't

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 16, 2023
  3. Baustin

Baustin

Thank you for taking the time to provide all these valuable details.
    I have now set these up.
    Safe journeys
    Bruce

Baustin, Jul 16, 2023
  4. Baustin

Baustin

Hi there Nuvi Nebie,
    I think that I have given you incorrect info regarding my Nuvi 2599 LMT-D over speed alerts.
    This morning when checking it out through different speed limit zones, It would give an audible "ping, ping, ping" as expected, BUT If I again drift over the speed limit in the same zone, there is no further audible warning, although there are two red bars next to the actual speed.
    It would be nice if I could make the NUVI 2599 repeat the audible warnings in the same speed limit zone.
    If this is not possible on my NUVI, is there another device which will emit multiple warnings, please?
    Bruce

Baustin, Jul 20, 2023
  5. Baustin

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

If you exceed the speed limit on a particular road, say 31 in a 30 zone you will only be notified once, you will not be notifed again until you go under the limit for that zone, down to say 29, this is also true if you have already been warned about say doing 41 in a 40 zone and then you continue into a 30 zone, you must be under the speed limit before you are re-warned about exceeding it

I don't know of a satnav that will give constant warnings, as the only thing that triggers a warning is you crossing the limit, so while you have the 'two red bars' you won't get another warning until they are removed

The warnings I am refering to are the ones generated by the satnav by comparing the road speed (taken from map info.) and your actual speed (measured by the GPS), you can have a different set if warnings generated by speed camera info. (either from Garmin or another speedcam database), this second form of warning is generated when your current location (taken from the GPS) is compared to a set of POI (Point Of Interest) locations taken from a speedcam database, they tend to say something like "Bing - Bong . . .Gatso 30" and are triggered as you approach the location of an actual speed camera in the database, NOT a speed sign

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 20, 2023
  6. Baustin

Baustin

Hi there Nuvi-Nebie, thank you for responding so quickly.
    The way that you described going over then, dropping below the speed limit, then drifting over for a further warning is what I was expecting and hoping for.
    However, my Nuvi doesn't do that. I get the first warning when 1mph over, plus the red bars and then I ease back under the limit. The red bars do then disappear. But if I drift over again, there is no further audible warning, although the red bars do recur on the actual speed indicator on the screen.
    Your further advice on this will be very welcome.
    Bruce

Baustin, Jul 20, 2023
  7. Baustin

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I hadn't noticed that you don't get a second warning after a second crossing of the speed limit, If this happens every time I am wondering under what circumstances it starts working again, I can only think of two, the first is a simple timer eg:- wait X number of seconds before allowing a new warning and the second is something changing, eg:- a change in road name or speed limit triggers a new warning possibility

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 21, 2023
Ask a Question