Garmin Drive 61 didn't want to follow my route

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by rlede63a4, Jun 5, 2023.

1. rlede63a4

rlede63a4

My Drive 61 displays the planned route and my waypoints correctly, but as I drove along the route, the Garmin kept wanting me to deviate from my planned route and take shortcuts to the final destination rather than hit the next waypoint. I never had that problem with my old Garmin. My old Garmin blindly followed my imported route and waypoints. Please advise.

rlede63a4, Jun 5, 2023
  2. rlede63a4

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I think this might be a conflict between the waypoints on the Route and the options on your Drive 61, say for example you place a waypoint on a toll road and tell the Drive 61 to avoid toll roads, or place a waypoint on a highway (motorway) and then tell the Drive 61 to avoid highways (motorways), you will be directed to the waypoint but as soon as you reach the waypoint the Drive 61 will tell you to get off the road you are on

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 5, 2023
  3. rlede63a4

rlede63a4

What you say makes sense, but the route and waypoints were pretty benign and were clearly displayed correctly when I select the imported trip and displays the list of waypoints and on the map. Regardless, the Garmin kept wanting me to take three earlier I-75 off ramps, but there was a reason we needed to pass by those ramps.
    Calculation mode=Faster Time. Avoidances selected were u-turns, carpool lanes, unpaved roads, Toll Roads; there were none of these along the route. My old Garmin followed my route waypoint to waypoint to waypoint. And if I couldn't hit a waypoint for whatever reason, the Garmin would recalculate to get me back on my route.

FWIW, I've attached a copy of the route .gpx file.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback

Attached Files:

rlede63a4, Jun 6, 2023
  4. rlede63a4

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Another possible reason for unexpected changes to your Route is map incompatibility, a Route is just a set of Waypoints, the satnav auto-routes from one waypoint to the next one using any suitable road it finds on its map, however if the Route was generated in say Garmin Basecamp that has a different map to the one on your Drive 61 then the route taken can be different because a map feature (say a new road) is not on the satnav's map

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 6, 2023
  5. rlede63a4

rlede63a4

Maybe I need to add many more waypoints than I did in the past. I typically just put a waypoint just after where I want to make a turn. That last route consisting of only 7-8 waypoints is pretty normal for my routes. Obviously, I have to add more waypoints closer together when in town where more roads available to get to my next turn and destination.
    The Garmin works just fine if I simply want to go to a specific address and select fastest route, but most of the time, I like to drive via a "scenic" route and use waypoints to get me to my final destination.
    FYI, for years I've been using "Tyre2Navigate" to generate my routes, save in .gpx format, and transfer to the GPX folder in my Garmin. I find that Garmin Basecamp is not very user friendly.

rlede63a4, Jun 6, 2023
  6. rlede63a4

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

But if the maps it uses are not compatible with the one on the Drive 61 you could get problems.

Try using 'Shortest' rather than 'Fastest' to see if this fixes your problem

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 6, 2023
  7. rlede63a4

rlede63a4

Wonder why possibly not compatible with my Drive 61 when my old Garmin worked like a charm with the Tyre routes. No matter. I'll give "Shortest" route a try next opportunity. I'm becoming desperate. Thanks...

rlede63a4, Jun 6, 2023
  8. rlede63a4

rlede63a4

OK. I learned how to create a route with waypoints using Garmin Base Camp and took it out for a test drive today. Now, how do I make the Garmin understand that if I miss a waypoint for whatever reason (detour, missed a turn, decided to go on a different street), I want the Garmin to recalculate and navigate towards my destination and NOT keep telling me to how to get back to the first waypoint I missed? Since I knew the route I was taking, it really didn't matter that the Garmin wanted me to make a u-turn or whatever to go back and hit the waypoint I missed. So, the Garmin was pretty much useless on this test drive. My old Garmin would figure out I missed a waypoint, recalculate, and navigate to the next waypoint that made sense.

rlede63a4, Jun 25, 2023
  9. rlede63a4

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

If you don't want the Garmin to direct you back to a missed Waypoint then you need to mark the Waypoints as Shaping points, in a nutshell a Waypoint MUST be visited, however if you convert it to a shaping point then the Garmin will target the next Waypoint / Shaping point

Follow the link above, scroll down to the Shaping Point entry to see notes on how to convert a Waypoint into a shaping point

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 26, 2023
  10. rlede63a4

rlede63a4

Hello, BIG thanks for the Shaping point tip. I tested a route with Shaping points rather than Waypoints today and purposely took a different road to miss a Shaping point or two to see how the Garmin would handle that. Garmin initially wanted to turn around, but, soon thereafter, it started directing me towards my original route and next Shaping point. THAT'S exactly what I needed Garmin to do!

What I didn't realize until it happened, Garmin asked if I still wanted to hit that missed shaping point or go on to the next one, I believe it asked. I'll have to pay more attention next time to better understand the specific question and my response whether YES or NO. Regardless, what will Garmin do if I don't respond given sometimes I'm busy driving?

Anyway, thanks for pointing me in the right direction...:D

rlede63a4, Jun 27, 2023
Ask a Question