Garmin DriveSmart 51 LMT-S with Europe Maps & Traffic - USA Traffic?

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by johnash, Jul 22, 2017.

1. johnash

johnash

Having virtually thrown my TomTom out of the window with frustration, I have been looking in to replacing it with Garmin and this model may will fit the bill for me. (I live in Spain).

We travel to USA quite a lot so will be buying a USA map. But will the "free" traffic feature work there or not? Will the USA map have lifetime updates (I suspect not!)?

I plumped for this model based on Wifi, Voice control, Traffic and price! I would have gone for a 6" one but that went outside of my price range.

Thanks.

johnash, Jul 22, 2017
  2. johnash

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

It looks like DriveSmart 51 LMT-S is supplied with a GTM-36 Europe traffic receiver / power cable, as far as I know this unit won't work in the USA

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 23, 2017
  3. johnash

johnash

Thanks! I'm assuming it will work for navigation! Just that traffic will not work? I had assumed it would be getting traffic via my mobile phone, though I would not expect that system to work in USA either.

johnash, Jul 23, 2017
  4. johnash

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Yes navigation should work as long as the unit has the relevant maps, if the unit gets it's traffic info. via Garmin Smart link (a smartphone / Bluetooth link), I think that may work as well in the US

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 23, 2017
  5. johnash

johnash

Great thanks for the response. I've now ordered one, and I should have it tomorrow!

johnash, Jul 23, 2017
  6. johnash

johnash

Now I have my Garmin, I can update this thread. If a smart phone is connected via Smartlink, then it will get traffic updates from that. If no phone is connected, then it looks for the traffic receiver/power cable. We use a portable router on Verizon network when driving in the USA. I'm hoping that, if I connect my smartphone to that, then to the Garmin navigator via Smartlink, I may get traffic info.

I've read criticism of Garmin's routing algorithms and my first trial run with it into our local square in town (I live in Spain) did not bode well. It was going to take us down the narrowest of streets as if it was set for shortest route (which it is not). TomTom on the other hand would take us on the route that I use most days.

Apart from that, I'm impressed. It updated map and software with just one hiccup (whereas with my TomTom, I have spent days trying to update it. The main reason I changed to Garmin).

The Garmin and its software seems so much more professional than TomTom which feels more like a toy now. Also, I have route planning with virtually unlimited numbers of waypoints back, something that disappeared with my latest TomTom.

I have a question about buying other maps which I shall put in a new thread.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    johnash, Jul 26, 2017
  7. johnash

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

It depends how the roads are designated, but this may help :-
    Settings >> Navigation >> Avoidancies >> Unpaved Roads
    BTW
    Have a look at OSM maps, they're free

Nuvi-Nebie, Jul 26, 2017
Ask a Question