Garmin Drivesmart 55 UK map

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by John_D, Mar 8, 2022.

1. John_D

John_D

Having spent many years with my old TomTom Go 950 and only finding the need to change it because of the inability to update the maps after 2020, I recently bought a Garmin Drivesmart 55 MT-S satnav. While I am generally very pleased with it, can someone explain why mini roundabouts are totally ignored in the UK mapping, unlike the maps on my old TomTom satnav? My other gripe is that on the old satnav, when going round 'ordinary' roundabouts when the correct exit was approached the TomTom came up with the prompt 'Take the exit', something that has been invaluable on complex roundabouts, the Garmin unit does not do this :(. I'm starting to think that I should have stayed with TomTom for my replacement.......

John_D, Mar 8, 2022
  2. John_D

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Both of the features you have highlighted are to some extent down to the information contained in the maps, mini roundabout can be handled if they are included in the map, as for the larger roundabouts, Garmins tend to count exits, eg. "At the roundabout take the first - second - third exit"

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 8, 2022
  3. John_D

John_D

So far my experience is that no mini roundabouts are on the map, which is not at all satisfactory and while 'simple' 'real' roundabouts can easily be navigated with exit numbers I have come across quite a few complex roundabouts that without the TomTom maps 'take the exit' command would be a nightmare. I find it very hard to believe that my 15 year old TomTom SatNav had better facilities than one of Garmin's latest offerings, quite frankly I less than impressed.

John_D, Mar 9, 2022
Ask a Question