Garmin Edge 1000 compass

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Peter Martin, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Peter Martin

Peter Martin

Hi

Just bought Garmin Edge 1000, but can't see how to get the compass to work. Would appreciate some guidance.

Peter

Peter Martin, Mar 17, 2016
  2. Peter Martin

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Have you been told that the Edge 1000 has an electronic compass?, all units with a GPS fitted can calculate where North is when it is moving by comparing subsequent positions, ie. the unit is moving towards the North, South, East or West. However units fitted with an Electronic compass can determine where North is without moving, by measuring magnetic flux. I don't think the Edge 1000 has an electronic compass, so it would have to rely on the Heading display while the unit is moving

Edge1000.png

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 17, 2016
  3. Peter Martin

Peter Martin

Hi

Thanks for your response. The Garmin Edge 1000 does have a compass but when I rotate the device the compass pointer rotates with it rather than continuing to point in the original direction?

Peter

4. Peter Martin

Peter Martin

Hi again

Your earlier post pointed me in the right direction: moving around with the unit activates the compass. Thanks.

Peter

5. Peter Martin

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I couldn't find any documentation for a Electronic Compass for the Edge 1000, however, devices with them usually need calibrating from new, this usually involves walking in a circle a few times, after that they shouldn't require any movement to work properly, however if it isn't a separate compass, you will only get an accurate 'North' when moving

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 18, 2016
  6. Peter Martin

Peter Martin

Thanks

Peter Martin, Mar 18, 2016
Ask a Question