Garmin eTrex - Creating a trail map using track recordings

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by xarielle, Sep 1, 2020.

1. xarielle

xarielle

Hi, I am completely new to the world of handheld GPS devices. I am looking into the Garmin eTrex line of GPS devices. Let me first explain my goal. I have a private land where my family and I have made several trails, which are not mapped. I would like to use a GPS device to record my tracks in as much detail as possible (the terrain is quite difficult to navigate) as I travel along all of the trails that we have made. I would then like to export and compile them to create a complete map of our trails, including points of interest (waypoints), which I could then import back onto the GPS. Then a newcomer would be able to follow these trails with the GPS and always know where they are relative to all the trails and waypoints. Is this doable with the eTrex devices? Would the eTrex 10 be sufficient? What would be the best way to do this? Thank you!!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    xarielle, Sep 1, 2020
  2. xarielle

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Any of the Etrex's would be able to record tracks that could then be up loaded into a computer program such as Garmin Basecamp (free to download) where you could also collect any waypoints stored on the Etrex and also add waypoints generated in Basecamp, the Etrex 10 could do this but adding maps is difficult , Garmin will tell you that although the Etrex 10 is supplied with a basic base map, you can't install maps to it, although this is not strictly true, adding replacement mapping is not easy due to memory limitations , so if you wanted to display your tracks against other maps, the Etrex 20 would be better

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 1, 2020
    xarielle likes this.
  3. xarielle

xarielle

Alright! Thank you. So I would be able to record multiple tracks (individual trails) on the eTrex 20 and combine them on a single map on my computer? Would I be able to color-code them? Then if I understand correctly, I would be able to load the complete map back into the eTrex 20 to be able to follow them as I walk?

xarielle, Sep 2, 2020
  4. xarielle

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The answer is yes to almost all your questions, you could also do it all on the Etrex 10, BUT you would only get the Tracks on screen with no other map features except waypoints, the multiple tracks can be given different colours while in Garmin Basecamp, but as far as I know they will all be the same colour on the Etrex 20 screen, however, Tracks are displayed individually (selected by name from a list), so they would not get mixed together

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 2, 2020
  5. xarielle

xarielle

Sounds good thanks!

xarielle, Sep 2, 2020
Ask a Question