Garmin Express & Basecamp map locking problem

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by GpsPhil, Mar 31, 2018.

1. GpsPhil

GpsPhil

Hi,

I'm new to this forum but I have been using Garmin GPS units since the days of the GPS III+ (which I'm sure most of you have never heard of!)

I am running Windows 10 Home on my PC. I have two users installed, one is the admin account, the other just a regular user. I use the regular user account 99% of the time for security reasons.

Here is the problem. I have a Nuvi 2597 LMT and I use Garmin Express to get the map and firmware updates. All that works perfectly. I am currently at CNNA 2019.1. When I update a map I also choose the option to download it to my computer.

The new map now in my PC shows in Basecamp as it should, but if I am logged in as a regular user it pops up a dialog box that the new map is locked. It then sends me off on a wild goose chase to get it unlocked. But... if I am logged in with the admin account all the maps work perfectly.

I have verified this on several Win10 machines. Also, it does not matter whether I was using Garmin Express as an admin or just a regular user. The result is the same.

This only seems to be a problem on maps installed by Garmin Express. Maps I have installed locally work fine for either user.

Anyone here experience this and have a solution?
    Thanks!

GpsPhil, Mar 31, 2018
  2. GpsPhil

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

My first though is that you could give your regular user logon administrator access, but I'm guessing you don't want to do that?

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 31, 2018
Ask a Question