Garmin Forerunner 35 - Speed without sensor?

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by MikeSD, Mar 27, 2017.

1. MikeSD

MikeSD

I'm looking for a very small, lightweight GPS that can display SPEED (MPH), using GPS and not requiring an external connected sensor. I need it to be small. Like one of the bike computers but they seem to all require a cadence or speed sensor. The other wearables I'm not sure about.

Can the Garmin Forerunner 35 display SPEED (Velocity) in MPH, without an external sensor (i.e. calculation based on GPS, not Bluetooth or cell required)?

I can't find anything that directly answers this question directly. I do see that they have a speed data field but not if it's GPS calculated. did see one video on a similar Garmin that has pairing with sensors so I don't know if those are required for this or any models.

Related: Does the Edge 25 require a sensor to display speed, without a sensor? Since it has GPS, it should be possible. But they sell a speed sensor for it, so I wonder why, if it has GPS.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    MikeSD, Mar 27, 2017
  2. MikeSD

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The Forerunner 35 user guide suggests that when a GPS signal is available, it will be used to calculate speed
    2017-03-27_11.21.45.jpg

The Edge 25 user guide also suggests that the sensor is only required indoors (where there is no GPS signal

2017-03-27_11.13.22.jpg

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 27, 2017
Ask a Question