Garmin fortrex 301 problem ** deployed soldier in need of GPS help asap**

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by GPSSoldier631, Dec 15, 2012.

1. GPSSoldier631

GPSSoldier631

Hi I have the garmin fortex 301. I have a good idea how to set waypoints, routes, and most of the devises features. But today I turned on my devise and on the map screen while I'm stationary the devise seems to be as it is on a moving object and sets tracks of when I'm aparently moving, the 10 didget grid even changes when I'm stationary. I've tryed resetting the settings and looking through the setting and I can not figure out what's wrong. Please comment back. Im overseas and use this devise for my job and need help ASAP. Thanks guys

GPSSoldier631, Dec 15, 2012
  2. GPSSoldier631

GPSCity_Jesse

That is normal for the GPS, accuracy will range between 3 meters with WAAS and 15 meters plus without. If you are in a really hard to track area the position will swing a lot. So as it hovers in the accuracy area the unit will record like it is moving if not set properly.

I suggest changing the tracklog settings so that it records based on a distance slightly larger than the current accuracy of the unit. On the satellite status page it will give is calculated in error in feet or meters. If the unit says it is 10m accurate. I would set the track log record interval to something larger like 20 meters. So a track point is only recorded if you travel father than 20 meters. You will get less points but should get a slightly more accurate tracklog when tracking conditions are not great.

If you can not find the settings there are lots of videos showing you the location of the menu.

Search youtube for this video eApGc6B_cHU

Sorry I can not post links at this time.

GPSCity_Jesse, Dec 28, 2012
Ask a Question