Garmin GPS 12 battery usage/power consumption

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by jlkoko, Mar 29, 2016.

1. jlkoko

jlkoko

I have an older model GPS 12 that I have not used for a few years. I would like to use it for some exploration on my dirt bike in unfamiliar territory. The unit would not power up, so I removed the old batteries, inserted new ones and turned the unit on. Although it lost all the prior waypoints (I assume the internal battery died), it did power up and I left it recharge for 24 hrs. It did recharge the internal battery b/c I am able to put in waypoints, remove the AA batteries, reinsert them, and repower w/o losing data. However, I noticed that even fresh AA batteries only last ~2 weeks before the unit will not power up (even if I do not use the GPS). I also noticed that only 1 (sometimes 2) of the AA's is discharged. I can replace the 1 (or 2) battery and the unit shows a full charge. This is especially evident if I use rechargeable batteries (they will only last a few days before I have to replace 1). I also have a 120vc charger for the unit; even with it plugged in, the batteries still consume power. Can anyone tell me if this is an indication that the internal battery is bad; or offer reasons why the GPS is doing this? Thank you.

jlkoko, Mar 29, 2016
  2. jlkoko

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I think your findings are a good indication that the internal battery requires replacement, it is the most likely component to fail in this way, there is a YouTube video (LINK HERE), that details how to replace this internal battery

It would be best to open the unit before purchasing a battery replacement, because documentation on which one to fit is not clear, the above video says the GPS12 has a VL1220 fitted and the GPS12XL and GPS12CX have a BR2032 fitted

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 30, 2016
  3. jlkoko

jlkoko

Thanks for your response. I found that video before and assumed I would follow it if I had to open the case. I automatically assumed it was an issue w/ the internal battery since the unit sat unused for so long and the AAs were dead. However, the unit came back to life after a couple of hours and I am able to remove the AAs without losing waypoints, so I'm not 100% sure it actually is a problem w/ the internal battery. At this point, though, I think it is relatively inexpensive for me to open the case and replace the internal battery and see what happens. The good thing is that I have the MapSource software to back up waypoints and transfer to/from the Garmin unit.

jlkoko, Mar 30, 2016
  4. jlkoko

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

When the internal battery is in good condition it should, retain waypoint info. for months / years, you may find the memory retention is very limited, Also, if your unit has a VL1220 rechargeable battery, it may be draining the AA batteries by requiring excessive 'recharging power' even when the unit is in standby

Here is the VL1220 in my GPS38 a slightly earlier model than the GPS12

IMG_5009s.png

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 31, 2016
Ask a Question