Garmin GPS 12

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Jim Marlowe, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Jim Marlowe

Jim Marlowe

Hi folks! I have an old (ancient) Garmin GPS 12.
    It may be old and it may be ancient but it works just fine for me. Good enough to have taken it to the Arctic.
    Anyway, a few months ago I took the main batteries out just in case they leaked. I installed fresh batteries this morning and got the message "memory battery low".
    And all of the waypoints were gone.
    I did some online research and read that if I installed new batteries – – which I did – – left them in for four or five days, then took the unit out and acquired satellites and left it on for sometime, the waypoints would reappear.
    Has anyone been able to confirm this? Is it just wishful thinking? Any advice?

Jim Marlowe, Feb 7, 2016
  2. Jim Marlowe

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

There are a few a problems you may encounter, I think the GPS 12 may suffer from the 'Week roll-over problem', to check this you need to check the date displayed by your GPS 12, if it is more than 10 Years before or after the current date, you have a problem because it will never get a satellite fix. There is a fix for this but it involves downloading a computer program that sends a new date to your GPS 12. I can supply you with more info. if the date needs fixing.

I don't hold out much hope of getting your waypoints back, but there is no harm in trying your fix

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 7, 2016
    Jim Marlowe likes this.
  3. Jim Marlowe

Jim Marlowe

Thanks, Nuvi.
    There may be some hope. After I installed the new batteries and corrected the date to the current date and adjusted the time for this time zone, I went outside and look at the unit up.
    Thank goodness it acquired nine satellites with good strength and gave me 3D navigation.

Jim Marlowe, Feb 7, 2016
  4. Jim Marlowe

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Hey that's great news, I have a GPS 38 that is about the same age as the GPS12, but you can't set the date on it so if it resets back to a pre 2000 date it never finds any satellites. I have seen a YouTube video (click HERE) , that states that the GPS 12cx has a non re-chargable memory battery, so there may be a problem if the main batteries are removed, because they don't re-charge the back-up battery. If this is a problem then you would have to leave the main batteries in the GPS or replace the memory battery

Nuvi-Nebie, Feb 7, 2016
  5. Jim Marlowe

Simon Templar

I have a 12XL that I've not put a battery in in at least 10 years. I think maybe I need to do that.

....sT

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
    Simon Templar, Feb 8, 2016
  6. Jim Marlowe

mlaajanen

Hi, I also have a 12 XL which has served my very well in my sailing boat for 15+ years but also has this problem. I tried to fix it by updating from 4.53 tp 4.60 but no luck.
    Can you show me this program that can fix this?

cheers

Michael

mlaajanen, Mar 10, 2016
  7. Jim Marlowe

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 11, 2016
Ask a Question