Garmin GPS 12xl

Discussion in 'General GPS Discussion' started by Gws, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Gws

Gws

I turn on the unit and it comes on but the screen is dark I can't get the screen to lighten up the contrast button doesn't help. I don't know if it's a fixable problem or not so any info i can get would be helpful. Thanks

Gws, Nov 16, 2017
    rachid111 likes this.
  2. Gws

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The Liquid Crystal Display on your 12xl is affected by various things, the most common of them is voltage and temperature, low (battery) voltage would result in lighter display and high voltage (supply/battery) voltage, which is fairly unlikeky, would result in darker display. Temperature will also affect the display with low temperatures usually resulting in a lighter appearance and higher temperatures resulting in darker displays

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 17, 2017
  3. Gws

Gws

I contacted Garmin and they said my backlight is out.is that a fixable thing?

Gws, Nov 17, 2017
  4. Gws

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The backlight is only required in low ambient light (when there in no daylight), If you can't see the display during daylight, I would say the backlight isn't the problem.

Modern units tend to have LED backlights that usually last for the life of the product, however 12xl is probably 20 years old and may have a real 'bulb', I guess this is replaceable, although it may be fixed into the display permanently, in which case you would need a new display. I would say it could only be replaced by Garmin, unless you are familiar with electronics repairs

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 17, 2017
  5. Gws

Gws

I'm not familiar but I was thinking of trying one of my cell phone repair shops in my area to see if they can check it out for small charge or free.i my have to suck it up and but a new one.

Gws, Nov 17, 2017
  6. Gws

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I'm still not clear what the problem is, when viewing in daylight outdoors what is the colour of the display? is the whole display black or dark? If not, what colour is the text and what colour is the background? can you take a photograph of the display ?

You may find a phone repair guy won't want to take it apart, it is glued together

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 17, 2017
  7. Gws

Gws

I'll try to take pic

Gws, Nov 17, 2017
  8. Gws

Gws

20171117_103448.jpg that's the best pic I could get.if I turn the unit a certain way I verily make out the satilight screen

Gws, Nov 17, 2017
  9. Gws

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Ah OK, now we're getting somewhere, this is not a backlight fault, the display is set to maximum contrast, if you can see pages change (viewed at an angle) when 'Page' is pressed, I would say the unit is working correctly, but that the display has a fault which is setting every pixel to maximum contrast, if the contrast can't be reduced from Menu >> System Setup, I would say the display needs to be changed

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 17, 2017
Ask a Question