Garmin GPS 38 not finding satellites

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Webmonkeyuk, Dec 27, 2023.

1. Webmonkeyuk

Webmonkeyuk

After clearing a uncle's house out I've come across a handheld GPS 38, it's in great condition and fully working from what I can tell. It powers on but doesn't seem to pick up any satellites

I've left it on a window ledge for a couple of hours in Auto locate mode but it hasn't found anything, the date is showing as 1st January 05. I've read about the roll over issue? I think that's what it's called but was just wondering if there's anyway to get it to lock on to the satellites and update itself? I no you can use a Pc program but I don't have the cables to connect and I think you have to be running windows xp?

Would taking it outside somewhere open like in the street help as I imagine the old style GPS are quite sensitive to having a clear view. I know it's a old machine but I'm just interested to see if it actually works properly

Thanks

Webmonkeyuk, Dec 27, 2023
  2. Webmonkeyuk

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I have a GPS38 that has the same problem, It did have the rollover problem (Notes here) and I fixed that by using the notes in the link, however it still won't get a fix, I think it is due to the internal oscillator drifting away from its normal frequency, I have placed the GPS38 outside (away from trees / buildings etc. ) with an external power supply for about 12 hours and it still didn't get a fix, but leaving it outside for as long as possible is the only suggestion I can make, I think it would be possible to re calibrate the internal oscillator but I don't know how this is done

If your internal ocillator has drifted less than mine then the method above may work for you, the frequency of the internal oscillator is temperature sensitive, so warming the unit up will push the frequency higher and cooling the unit will push the frequency down, so it may be worth trying this at different outdoor temperatures

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 27, 2023
  3. Webmonkeyuk

Webmonkeyuk

Thanks for the reply, I've got the diagnostic page on but couldn't see anything with frequency listed. I did notice a set of numbers that kept scrolling higher?

I've had it outside and within 30min it's picked the satellites up and locked on to about 5-6 but the date is showing as 13 may 04. Will leaving it longer help it pick up the correct time data or will it continue to show the wrong date

Thanks again for the help

Webmonkeyuk, Dec 28, 2023
  4. Webmonkeyuk

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Sorry for midleading you I sent the post before checking my own GPS38, most units display the frequency on the diagnostics page, but having checked my unit it doesn't show frequency either, in fact non of that info. is of much use to you

If the unit gets a 'fix' eg. It will display correct Latitude / Longitude and time of day, it also will know the correct date internally as it is communicating with the satellites, however the rollover problem means it will display the date wrongly and this can only be corrected by the GpsEow computer program, the wrong displayed date does not stop the unit working normally when it gets a 'fix'

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 28, 2023
  5. Webmonkeyuk

Webmonkeyuk

Ah I understand, yes Lat and Long are correct as well as the time just the date unfortunately

Im guessing the unit will work and can be used to navigate other than just showing the wrong date? Not sure how much that would affect it. I don't think I would have any way of connecting to a pc to use the program so unfortunately will have to leave it as for now.

Thanks for the assistance, muchly appreciated

6. Webmonkeyuk

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Yes, the only thing that may be affected is the date stamp on any Tracks that the unit will store, but as you can't retrieve them to a computer anyway that won't be a problem

Nuvi-Nebie, Dec 28, 2023
  7. Webmonkeyuk

Webmonkeyuk

Ah gotcha, yes I wouldn't be connecting to a computer so it probably won't affect me that way
    Thanks again for the assistance

Ask a Question