Garmin GPS 92 not booting up

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by signal, Jan 31, 2022.

1. signal

signal

Hello Members,
    I have replaced the memory battery (VL1220) on my GPS92, it was working after that but I noticed that the memory battery wasn’t charged. It needs to have around 3,4 Volts to charge but the motherboard only provided 2,5 Volts.
    While checking for the source I must have made a mistake and it‘s not booting anymore. While pushing the power on button the correct voltage is created on the motherboard but somehow the starting process is not working, the display remains empty and the current drawn from my power source drops immediately after releasing the on button.
    I tried to get a circuit diagram for the unit, but didn’t find anything in the web,
    Did anyone of you ran into the same problems or can help me out with a circuit diagram ?
    Thanks for your replies.
    Chris

signal, Jan 31, 2022
  2. signal

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Have you tried powering the GPS92 via the rear conector (12 volts) ?

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 31, 2022
  3. signal

signal

Yes, same result. Current is drawn as long as I press the button but its not booting.

signal, Jan 31, 2022
  4. signal

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I have seen units that won't boot up when the internal battery is faulty, but if the VL1220 is OK I don't have any further suggestrions, you could try removing the VL1220 and charging it outside the GPS92 and then replace it back in the GPS, I have never seen a circuit diagram for these units

Nuvi-Nebie, Jan 31, 2022
  5. signal

signal

The VL1220 is new and charged, has 3 Volts, the voltages on the motherboard are within range too. Guess it has to do something with the memory or powering up sequence.
    Thank you for your help trying to solve this.

signal, Jan 31, 2022
Ask a Question