Garmin GPS "sees" satellites but can't communicate

Discussion in 'GPS Technical Discussion' started by L john Irving, Apr 25, 2016.

1. L john Irving

L john Irving

I have a Garmin GPS module attached to my Kenwood 3 in 1 dash unit. It has functioned perfectly for several years but, last Sunday, the speed started fluctuating +/- 10kph at a steady 110 and, after I left the car parked for the day, exhibited symptoms where it seeks to be searching for and finding satellites but will not communicate with them. The satellite location screen shows locations but they flash and the signal strength indicators show empty bars but seem to reflect signal strenght. I pulled the module out and checked connections and discovered if I pulled the antenna out, the signal strength for all satellites went to zero. Re insert the antenna and the signal strengths rose again

L john Irving, Apr 25, 2016
  2. L john Irving

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

What is the name of the Garmin GPS module?

Nuvi-Nebie, Apr 25, 2016
  3. L john Irving

L john Irving

I didn't go digging out the name of the module cos I think this is more a generic fault, probably a chip which needs replacing. It's 11pm here so I'll dig out he Module number tomorrow, if it's critical.
    Any ideas froma general point of view ??
    John

L john Irving, Apr 25, 2016
  4. L john Irving

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

The 'general' symptoms you describe suggest to me that the unit has lost info. usually stored even when the unit is in standby mode, this info includes last known position, almanac (a list of satellites that should be visible), current time / date etc.

When a GPS has lost this info. It it does a 'cold start', this always takes longer than a 'warm start', a modern unit may take 30 minutes an old unit can take hours / days

Most (if not all ) GPS units have a battery backup so this info. Is never lost, it isn't possible to comment on your unit without knowing which unit you have

Nuvi-Nebie, Apr 25, 2016
  5. L john Irving

L john Irving

There is a great deal of logic in what you say except for some hiccups since. About a week and a half ago, it came good one afternoon, worked for a couple of hours then failed again. I know when it comes on cos it starts sounding the warning "bell" it gives for School Zone location. It sprung in to life for short periods over a couple of days then, late last week, it came on and hasn't failed since. I did get the impression that it was slow in showing updated location/progress, which it does every second or so but this could simply be an expectation on my part that it was going to fail again. Now it's been working a few days it seems OK, for now. Thanks for yr input

L john Irving, May 8, 2016
Ask a Question