Garmin GPSmap 76CSX woes - bike routes, tracks and such

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by dertien, Jun 15, 2017.

1. dertien

dertien

Hello everybody.

I still have a working GPSmap 76csx and have been trying without success for the last 4 hours to display a route or track that was downloaded from the internet on the GPS. I intend to use this on the mountainbike and go offroad. I can load and display routes that other riders share just fine in basecamp. Both the openstreet map loads fine on basecamp and the GPS. However trying to make the routes or tracks created or imported in Basecamp visible on the GPS is an utter nightmare.

I have a MicroSD card of 4Gigs in there which works. Since this unit was used in a marine environment somehow the GPS no longer shows up as a hard disk when connected via USB. So sending data to the device via that way is not an option, but that's ok since I can send tracks, routes and so on to the SD directly via MicroSD adapter as Basecamp recognises it. Basecamp creates the necessary folders just fine.

I have read a bit on the subject while surfing the google search, and apparently the unit can create gpx files, and even dump them on the sd card, but it cannot read them???

I fail to understand the usefulness of a GPS that can write gpx files to its MicroSD card (as a backup that can be read by basecamp) but cannot read them, and only displays the tracks that are stored in internal memory. I mean is a GPS not supposed to give you the option to plan a trip BEFORE you've ever been there?

Garmin's logic here seems to be that you can record your track/route which will be saved and usable by the GPS, but it cannot show you the way first since it cannot display imported data from its Garmin software package?
    I'm sorry, but now you've lost me ... isn't this is an obvious feature that any GPS should have?

And last question how can I load a track/route into the GPS via a USB-Microsd adapter that someone else wishes to share (gpx format) without having to record the route myself first and ride it out by bike?

dertien, Jun 15, 2017
  2. dertien

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I think it's best fo start by detailing the difference between a Track and a Route.

A Track is log of where the GPS has been, it is made up of a series of waypoints that have a time and date, when plotted on a map the 'jump' from one wayooint to the next is always a straight line.

A Route is also a series of waypoints, but there is no time and date for each point because the route is a 'future trip' rather than one in the past, the other big difference is that to get from one waypoint on a Route to the next waypoint the GPS must follow a feature on the map such as a road, path etc., you could for example create a Route with only two waypoints that are a thousand kilometers apart, the GPS will stay on the same road until it reaches the other waypoint

If a Route is created on say Garrnin Basecamp using a certain map, the GPS must have the same map, if it doesn't the displayed Route will be different

Nuvi-Nebie, Jun 15, 2017
Ask a Question