Garmin gs60csx Trip Computer factory fault?

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by angelillogr, Aug 16, 2019.

1. angelillogr

angelillogr

Hi all, I just got back from the Gabonese jungle and I had a problem there with my Garmin gs60csx.

When I am standing still it shows as if I am moving in it's trip computer. I am very frustrated as I returned the previous one that had exactly the same problem thinking that it was an issue from that unit but it now looks like it's an issue with the model itself?

How could it show me that I am moving when I am not? Anyone has had this problem before?

angelillogr, Aug 16, 2019
  2. angelillogr

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

This is common to all GPS units, not just the GPSMap60csx, when you zoom in on the map page of your unit and stand still for an extended period you may see a trace like this :-

gps-jitter.jpg

This appears to show you 'moving' randomly from the spot in the middle when you are not, this is due to errors that all GPSs produce, every few seconds the GPS recalculates where it thinks you are but it gets the position wrong so you appear to be shifted by a few feet and the trip counter see this a movement, the effect will get worse when it can't get a good 'view' of the sky due to trees, buildings etc.

Some GPSs try to remove this problem by setting a minimum 'move' distance before it is recorded, this is used (together with snap to road), on GPSs intended for use in cars, but it is not normally used for walking/hiking GPSs where distances are much shorter

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 17, 2019
  3. angelillogr

angelillogr

Thanks for your reply Nuvi-Nebie. Does this mean that the trip computer info on "Stopping time" or "Moving time" or even "distance walked" are redundant and useless? (If I remain stopped for hours in one spot the trip computer shows as if I have been walking for hours! and it counts as certain km/h walk speeds!)

That suggestion of removing the problem by setting a minimum 'move' distance sounds brilliant!, or at least would allow us to properly work with the trip computer in these cases.... Do you think it could be activated somehow on the Garmin?

angelillogr, Aug 19, 2019
  4. angelillogr

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I haver found that stopping for say 30 minutes during a 2 hour walk has been correctly displayed on my GPSmap60Cx, I suppose it depends on the 'view of the sky', it probably wouldn't be so good walking thought a wood for example. The easiest 'fix' for this problem would be to turn off the GPS when not moving and turn it back on when re-starting the walk, the trip counter will carry on measuring from where it left off as long as it isn't reset

I have only seen a 'switch' to select an on/off jitter filter on a very old PDA running Windows Mobile, I don't think it can be selected on Garmin Unit/s

Nuvi-Nebie, Aug 20, 2019
  5. angelillogr

angelillogr

Thanks my friend. Really useful!
    Angel

angelillogr, Aug 21, 2019
Ask a Question