Garmin Iq3600 waypoints and map layers

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Jumpy, May 2, 2018.

1. Jumpy

Jumpy

Hello, this is my first time to this forum and hope the all knowing can help me.

I have had this pda/gps for some time and I thought it could be used for other things. It has been packed up in storage for about 5 years. I dug it out a few months ago and it had all kinds of problems with docking station. The battery needs replaced and needing a sync cord. I was able to power it up correct date time etc. after looking threw this I determined it could be a very useful tool for some hobbies I have. However I wish to upgrade maps some for the satellite images and also a Topo map.

I have a couple projects I could use it for in a major way. Their are some old buildings where I hike and thought it would be a novel idea to use an external antenna to map out the old buildings and maybe export to my Mac??? Not sure if that is possiable but it would be a neat to aee how these old ruins were laid out.

I also hunt for ginseng and various other plants from the wild. Some of these plants people really want and it’s best to safeguard what you know. Sometimes I will not go back to a site for years sometime 5 years later. This can be difficult to remember where one plant is years later even with the best of notes. I feel it’s safe as it shouldn’t be able to be hacked by the common person who does the stuff I do.

I do not work with this type of thing for a living so all I do know is the few scant videos on YouTube and what I have learned playing with device. Not a lot of exposure for what I hope it will do.

If it is possible to use an external antenna like survivors do for higher accuracy please let me know.

Thanks in advanced for any help you can provide.

Jumpy, May 2, 2018
  2. Jumpy

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

As long as the iq3600 has a clear 'view' of the sky, there probably won't be much advantage to using an external antenna, but you can use one if you like, here is the connector :-

2018-05-03_08.16.07.jpg

You may be able to install free maps for your iq3600, (Click HERE), but the unit only has a small amout of memory, the unit probably won't work with Basecamp, but it should work with Map Installer

Here is a link to a webpage for the unit :-

http://www.tramsoft.ch/gps/garmin_ique3600_en.html

Nuvi-Nebie, May 3, 2018
    Jumpy likes this.
  3. Jumpy

Jumpy

Hey thanks for this info. Can it be installed via sd card or will I need to use a sync cord? Also have you replaced the battery in a ique3600? How difficult also how long does the battery generally last using the gps? Do these generally take a long time to lock onto the three sat? I know mine seems to take forever to get all three with open sky and no obstructions in either direction

Jumpy, May 4, 2018
  4. Jumpy

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I don't own a iq3600 so I don't know where the maps are kept, you would have to search through the SD and internal memory to see where the existing files are kept, Garmin map files are usually named *. IMG files, This note from the web page at Tramsoft suggests there is only 32MB of 'internal' memory for maps and doesn't mention the SD slot

2018-05-04_15.59.37.jpg

Thr problem of the time it takes to 'find' the satellites probably won't be reduced much with an external antenna (if you have a clear view of the sky), it is due to it having 15 year old technology, it is probably seeking satellites one at a time whereas modern GPSs can search for 20 or more satellites at the same time

Nuvi-Nebie, May 4, 2018
    Jumpy likes this.
Ask a Question