Garmin NIMH-battery pack

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by Fin Ito, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Fin Ito

Fin Ito

I have some questions about the NIMH-battery pack.

On my old Gpsmap62s, and my new 64s... i have used "normal" NIMH-batteries.. (and somtimes alkaline)
    I have not used the usb-cable that followd the gps but another one.
    And i have used an extranal charger for the batteries when theay are empty.

I have the last few times used the cable that followd the unit, and it seems like it charge when pluged in PC.

So to the question, du to some problem, i think that i will try the garmin-battery pack... and I hope that will help (if there is som "more" to the batteries than the NIMH that i use)

Will it worn out the batteries if I plug it in (to transfere trips... and watch the map.. SD-card.... Basecamp).... and andout severel times a week.. so it charges a little bit then an little bit now? ... or should i remove the batrteries when i plug it in when the batteries are not out and wiat til they need charging?

Fin Ito, Mar 7, 2018
  2. Fin Ito

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I would not recomnend the Garmin NiMH battery pack in this case, because you will not get 'more' than other NiMH batteries that can be purchased much cheaper, this pack holds 2 x 2000mAh NiMH battries in a plastic holder, the holder allows charging via USB while they are in the GPS, this is it's only advantage over 2 x AA NiMH batteries that can go up to 2800mAh and last much longer

It is also possible to charge 2 x AA NiMH batteries in the GPS by inserting something into the battery compartment to activate the 'charge' switch

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 8, 2018
  3. Fin Ito

Fin Ito

Ok.

Thanks.

Buts will my GP rechargeable nimh batteries get damage when they are in my gps while pluged inn?

And wich batteries do you recomend?
    I hade Varta (in different mah) on my old 62s.... but my 64s keeps on turning off all the time.
    With all sorts and kinds of batteries..(see my other post)

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    Fin Ito, Mar 8, 2018
  4. Fin Ito

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

Garmin say you should only charge Garmin battery packs in Garmin GPSs, however I can't see how either the batteries or GPS could be damaged as long as the alternative batteries meet a similar specification eg :-

1) NiMH technology only (not zink, alcaline, Ni-Cad, Lithium etc.)
    2) at least 2000mAh (a larger value is o.k. a smaller one is not)
    3) Any make of battery that meets 1) and 2) above should be o.k.

Although I reguard using the above batteries for charging as VERY low risk, I will take no resposability for any damage that does occur

Your GPSMap64 needs to know what sort of battery is installed for correct operation, goto :- Setup >> System >> AA Battery type, Note :- the Battery type options may be limited if the 'charge switch' has been activated

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 8, 2018
  5. Fin Ito

Fin Ito

I have tried both pre-charged and std NIMH settings.

and by the way, when i said plug in, I ment PC.

I used a std USB cabel before (since the garmin was to long)...
    Now I use the Garmin-cable, and the last time (wich was the first time)... it seems like the batteries got more "juice" when i pluged it out agin. And what i was trying to say.... is it bad for the batteries to be charged a little bit then and a little bit then.

Fin Ito, Mar 8, 2018
  6. Fin Ito

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

I can't find any Info. on how long charging takes, but as the power is supplied via USB it can't be a fast charger, my guess is it will take at least 10 hours to charge (maybe twice as long with 2800mAh batteries), slower chargers are more tollerant of start-stop-start-stop charging and over charging, so I don't think 'little bit' charging will be bad. Garmin will have designed the charging circuitry to allow the battery to remain in place during intermittant USB connection so this won't be a problem

Nuvi-Nebie, Mar 9, 2018
  7. Fin Ito

Fin Ito

I ihave now got the Gsrmin-battery-pack . will try it out, and maybe return if it isn't what I want it to be.
    But i think the battery and unit is getting to warm when plugged inn, both in PC and wall socket, i use the Garmin-cable offcourse.

Fin Ito, Mar 10, 2018
Ask a Question