Garmin Nuvi 1390 lost water features

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by gnappi, Sep 8, 2018.

1. gnappi

gnappi

My Nuvi is an older model and has worked perfectly for many years and for all that time I never upgraded the maps. My primary use was while driving the streets of south Florida I looked for waterways where I could fish, and/or hand launch my small boat for fishing. I have very little interest in the GPS for finding addresses or streets.

Well last week I upgraded my map and all but the largest waterways have disappeared rendering the GPS useless for anything but auto navigation. I've done all of the GPS related increase / decrease detail as well as using a new SD card and downloading the newest map again and still the water features are minimal.

So I wonder if there is a way to get an older map to try and recover the missing waterways?

PS, the map I currently have is:
    CN North America NT 2019.20

Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    gnappi, Sep 8, 2018
  2. gnappi

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

As this unit is for road navigation, I suspect that the waterways have been removed to keep the map smaller, you could have a look at Open Street Maps to see if the waterways are present, if they are you can download a version that will run on your Nuvi

Alternatively, you could try to find an old copy of the originally supplied maps, these are usually 'locked' which stops them working on unauthorized units, but in this case they should work

Nuvi-Nebie, Sep 9, 2018
  3. gnappi

gnappi

I'd rather find an older version of the Garmin maps, unless I can find some info how to use the OSM site which I found very convoluted. I have to select what appears like a smaller number of tiles instead of the whole U.S. When I select the entire U.S it says I have selected to many tiles. I had to make an east coast map instead.

I think my early map was: city navigator north america 2010.10

I looked over the web for it or one close to try and get the water features back and no luck and Garmin said they have no early maps in a repository. Anyone here know of a source of archived Garmin maps?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    gnappi, Sep 9, 2018
  4. gnappi

gnappi

So, the zipped east coast map downloaded, extracted, copied the gmapsupp.img to the \garmin folder.... nada. The GPS doesn't find it.

Open base camp, map seen, but "no unlocked maps found" try to send it to the Nuvi and I get "Generic routable does not contain any data" but selecting the map shows the east coast map in its entirety in the map view window that I downloaded from OSM.

Looking at the OSM map it turns out it is useless also, there are even less waterways than the recent Garmin map.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    gnappi, Sep 9, 2018
Ask a Question