Garmin Nuvi 1450LM

Discussion in 'Garmin GPS' started by kingsland, Nov 20, 2021.

1. kingsland

kingsland

Greetings, I just updated the maps on my 11 year old Garmin. It's still working but takes a long time "acquiring satellites". My question is are the new basic models any faster or better in any way ? Recently saw the Garmin Drive 52 on sale for about the same price I paid when I bought the original.

kingsland, Nov 20, 2021
  2. kingsland

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

If you hadn't acquired satellites for some time (years), it will be slow to get a fix, but this should only happen the first time, you may find that after the first 'fix' that the unit finds satellites a lot quicker

Also if the 1450 is in now being used in a car with a heated front windscreen (eg. Some Fords etc.), then it (and any replacement) , will struggle due to a lack of signal

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 20, 2021
  3. kingsland

kingsland

More like the first fix always takes a long time. Subsequent fixes are much faster/no problem. But it does get used every few months. And that first slow fix is always when I'm in a hurry.

kingsland, Nov 20, 2021
  4. kingsland

Nuvi-Nebie Moderator

It will help if the 1450 only has glass between it and the sky, no metal, buildings, trees etc., also it is better for the car to be stationary when getting a fix, rather than starting the journey and hoping that the satnav will catch up before you need it

Nuvi-Nebie, Nov 20, 2021
  5. kingsland

kingsland

When I'm really desperate for a fix I hold it out the car window lol. Of course, my phone gets a fix instantly but the issue there is gps quickly drains down my cell battery.

kingsland, Nov 20, 2021
  6. kingsland

kingsland

But let's say I enter a destination on the new Garmin Drive 52 and my old Garmin 1450 at the same time. Is the new one any faster on a cold/first time fix ? Have the base model Garmin gps devices advanced in the last decade or pretty much the same as they ever were ?

kingsland, Nov 20, 2021
Ask a Question